THE THRIFTING ADVENTURE THAT EARNED ME THE TITLE "QUEEN OF THRIFT" (self acclaimed) :)

12.02.14
Two years ago when were preparing to build our new home, I set out on a mission to find GOOD,cheap light fixtures. Since I live with my electrician, I knew that I could get them installed without a fee :) I'm still blown away at what I found! The photos say it all!.....well.....almost. We did have to do a little refurbishing & repairing. I think you will agree that this was a successful mission!
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Did you find all of these at thrift stores?
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    I did, Steve. Click on the photos to see what I paid for them. "Dirt Cheap"! I researched the Miranda Feiss (first two photos), and found one very similar to the 6 arm chandelier. The retail price on it was over $800.00.
    • Martha B
      Martha B Madison, TN
      Pat aka Queen of Thrift You most definiely ARE the Queen of Thrift! All the fixtures are beautiful and you have a wonderful eye to see the diamond in the rough. What kind of paint did you use for the floral chandelier in pic #3? I love the shine! Thank you.
    • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
      Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
      Martha B Thank you! I used metallic bronze as the base color (spray paint), and then dry brushed highlights using 14K antique gold. I don't recall where I purchased the gold. I
  • Jamala W
    Jamala W Whitmire, SC
    These are all beautiful... I need to go shop with you..
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks, Jamala. That would be fun!
  • Becky H
    Becky H Tampa, FL
    Not only did you save money, but you've added character to each room that no one else will be able to duplicate.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Wow Pat. Either you are very lucky or have the best thrift type stores in your area. I absolutely love the Miranda Feiss fixtures.
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks Becky H and Becky. I love things for my home that have that certain character & I find great satisfaction in knowing that I can "design on a dime" and accomplish it with nice finds. We have some good thrift stores in Huntsville which is about 45
  • Denise aka Nise
    Denise aka Nise Doylestown, PA
    impressive and inspirational!
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks Denise. If you are not a thrift store shopper this might inspire you to start, but....I must warn you.....it is very addictive!
  • Melissa K
    Melissa K Blythewood, SC
    I LOVE refurbished! I found some light fixtures at Goodwill...Not this elaborate, but like bathroom fixtures that hang over a mirror. The are now hanging in my laundry room over the glass shelving over the washer and dryer. People always have great
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    I love refurbished, too Melissa. There is an old saying, "A penny saved is a penny earned". Pennies are considered worthless now, but I disagree! I have a wine jug (a thrift store find) that I save pennies & dimes in. I call it my "tip" jar! Thanks
  • Cheryl
    Cheryl Independence, KS
    I love all your finds!!!
  • Marsha Lamberth
    Marsha Lamberth Clarksville, TN
    You go girl! Such a lovely bunch of treasure to beautify your home. You have earned bragging rights on these. Just amazing!
    • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
      Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
      Marsha Lamberth thank you! When I think back on this series of shopping ventures it almost seems like a dream. I set out on a mission and to my total surprise....mission accomplished! I am still bragging about it to anyone that will listen!! :)
  • Gail RiChard Harden
    Beautiful and you are so fortunate to be married to an electrician!
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thank you Gail! Yes, I am very fortunate and very blessed. He loves to what I call "tinker" with things. I can always count on him to help me refurbish my finds!
Pat aka Queen of Thrift