I painted my ugly formica counters to look like faux granite!

kitchen 6 days ago
I recently removed wallpaper in my kitchen and painted the walls and really loved the new look. But I was stuck with these ugly hunter green formica countertops with wood trim! UGH. So I decided to try to paint them and they turned out SO great I was shocked. It totally transformed my kitchen for about $100. The tutorial is here...

http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2011/02...

• This was the countertops BEFORE.... yup hunter green formica with fancy wood trim. LOL
  • And here is the AFTER! I did a lot of research with regards to technique and such. And being a cancer survivor, I wanted to make sure all the products I used were non-toxic and safe. I was blown away by the results!
  • Renata
    Renata Hermiston, OR
    I love the fact that ur sink is not under the window!.
  • Kay Takash
    Kay Takash Western Springs, IL
    You are tremendously creative and obviously not afraid of hard work. Did you have help or do it all yourself? Hats off to you and your wonderful taste
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Hello Kay! Thank you so much - I did do it all by myself. ;-) It was an arduous task but SO worth it in the end.
  • Ren
    ren Fitzgerald, GA
    what colors would you suggest if you wanted the countertops to be more of a beige or sand color?
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Actually I would suggest going to the local home improvement store and finding a sample of granite or formica that you really like. Then head to the paint department or craft store and buy paint which matches those colors. Put your base color on -
  • Cecilia Huether
    Cecilia Huether Exmore, VA
    this is what I needed to know, for the other colors, do you use the formica paint?
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Cecilia Huether No. You can use any paint you have because you are going to seal it. Craft paint, wall paint, etc. Good luck.
  • Lisa House
    Lisa House Vickery, OH
    Fabulous job! I have been researching faux marble options and you have helped me decide which way to accomplish! Hope mine turns out as nice as yours did. Love the window in the pass thru area, love the stone work also.
Tracy W