Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

I painted my ugly formica counters to look like faux granite!

countertop faux 6 days ago
I recently removed wallpaper in my kitchen and painted the walls and really loved the new look. But I was stuck with these ugly hunter green formica countertops with wood trim! UGH. So I decided to try to paint them and they turned out SO great I was shocked. It totally transformed my kitchen for about $100. The tutorial is here...

http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2011/02...

43 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 19 of 43 comments | See Previous
  • Bev
    Bev Dandridge, TN
    I painted my countertops...totally love them. My biggest problem after 1 1/2 years is that they are starting to scratch. This Envirotex Lite will hold up better? Just sand and redo with this product? Below are the after and before pictures.
  • Pam Smith
    thank you I am going to try it !!!!!
  • C
    C Orange Park, FL
    Hi,

Is there a tutorial for this Tracy? Thanks

• Allen Vaught
    Allen Vaught Kissimmee, FL
    You have taken a very good decision Tracy..The green Formica really looks ugly. And this pattern is now become old. Either you paint your kitchen or use a granite countertop. I have painted white cabinets with dark granite. And also I tried to color
  • Tracy W
    Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    Hi C - all the details can be found here:

http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2011/02... Thanks!

• Crose3748
    Crose3748 Coventry, RI
    Love your pendant lights!! Where did you purchase them?
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Crose3748@cox.net Thank you! Actually they were purchased in 1977 and were in the bathroom until I remodeled it and I simply painted them black and moved them to the kitchen. I am sure if you google miniature chandeliers you can find something similar.
  • Ruth  Nederlk
    Ruth Nederlk Webster, NY
    Looks so beautiful Wish I could do it .To old now with bone problems, Amazing. Also have a formica table top I always loved from the early 60's Finish now wearing off in different parts of table . Can this be done he same way as the counter tops? Have a
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Hi Ruth! Glad you love the new light - even the little things can change an entire room. Yes, this would totally work on your table. Good luck! :-)
  • Kathy White
    Kathy White Mobile, AL
    What a difference a few changes made! Beautiful work and a gorgeous kitchen! BTW, what is the picture on your bar stools? I can't tell.
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Thanks Kathy! It is a vintage rabbit from Sturbridge Yankee workshop. Discontinued. :-(
  • Stacey Beck
    Stacey Beck Orem, UT
    That is paint? I would never guess in a million years that was paint, it looks just like granite. I don't know if I'm that skilled to do this myself but it looks really cool!
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Salisbury, NC
    Congrats on a job well done, such an improvement!
  • Enchanting Interior Architecture
    Love it!
  • Jenlob
    Jenlob Clinton, MI
    I LOVE your kitchen! I followed all your steps and also read some others that painted their counters to look like granite. I just finished mine a couple days ago and have a question...how did you get the sides of the counter to be smooth and glass like?
    • Tracy W
      Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Hi! Awesome that it looks great. The back splashes were a pain. It was time consuming - I stood there and continued to lightly brush when it would drip or coagulate. It is actually a very thin coating in the backsplash and the edges just to give it
  • SK Sartell, Pro
    SK Sartell, Pro Salem, OR
    Congratulations. A beautiful job and well done. Thanks for sharing. sk
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan Jonesboro, AR
    Hi Tracy. I just happened across your post. Your counter tops look great! I too, cannot afford granite. I am just wondering how they have held up since you initially completed the project?
  • Tracy W
    Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    They have fared very well. Only a few scratches here and there! One of these days I'll put a light skim coating to cover those. But the look great!
Tracy W

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing