Hometalk.com

Before & After 7 days ago

I painted my ugly formica counters to look like faux granite!

I recently removed wallpaper in my kitchen and painted the walls and really loved the new look. But I was stuck with these ugly hunter green formica countertops with wood trim! UGH. So I decided to try to paint them and they turned out SO great I was shocked. It totally transformed my kitchen for about $100. The tutorial is here...

http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2011/02...

31 Comments Displaying 15 of 31 comments | See Previous
  • Jeanette freeze Purdy, MO
    wow is all i can say for your lucky you were willing to go the extra mile.....:)
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    Tracy W where did you buy the high gloss finish?
  • Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    It was just a Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane for Floors. It is at any Home Depot, Lowes, even WalMart. :-) If you are doing a small area - you can get away with a quart - I bought a gallon because I am going to do my living room and dining room eventually.
  • Marg C Middletown, NY
    thanks for the info Tracy.
  • you did a great job your kitchen looks beautiful
  • Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    BIG WHOOPS! The Minwax answer above was for my painted hardwood floors - a different post. The high gloss finish for this was Envirotex Lite and you can find it at Hobby Lobby (with the 40% coupon) or any home improvement store. Sorry for the other answer
  • how did you get the shine to stay up on the backsplash ?
  • Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    Hi Pam - that is the hardest part - as you pour you simply take the sponge brush and keep brushing the Envitorex from the coutner surface up the backsplash. Eventually it will stick. You don't need a great amount - just enough to reflect the shine. It
  • Bev HB Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I painted my countertops...totally love them. My biggest problem after 1 1/2 years is that they are starting to scratch. This Envirotex Lite will hold up better? Just sand and redo with this product? Below are the after and before pictures.
  • thank you I am going to try it !!!!!
  • C Orange Park, FL
    Hi,

Is there a tutorial for this Tracy? Thanks

• Allen Vaught Kissimmee, FL
    You have taken a very good decision Tracy..The green Formica really looks ugly. And this pattern is now become old. Either you paint your kitchen or use a granite countertop. I have painted white cabinets with dark granite. And also I tried to color
  • Tracy W Orland Park, IL
    Hi C - all the details can be found here:

http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2011/02... Thanks!

• Crose3748@cox.net Coventry, RI
    Love your pendant lights!! Where did you purchase them?
    • Tracy W Orland Park, IL
      Crose3748@cox.net Thank you! Actually they were purchased in 1977 and were in the bathroom until I remodeled it and I simply painted them black and moved them to the kitchen. I am sure if you google miniature chandeliers you can find something similar.