Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
crafts 3 days ago

Tree Trunk Votive Holders

My husband had to cut down some damaged trees in our backyard so I asked him to save me some of the smaller trunks so that I could make rustic votive holders. This was a super simple project and I think it would make a great gift...I show the entire process on my blog linked below.

#Bestof2012

To see more: http://www.thehappierhomemaker.com/2012/10/tree-trunk-candle-holders.html

10167 on Oct 19, 2012
34 Comments Displaying 15 of 34 comments | See Previous
  • Melissa-TheHappierHomemaker
    Thanks Susan S I need a better drill-it was actually a crazy pain to drill these with my cordless drill. My stepbrother's fiance now wants these for her wedding centerpieces next year so I
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Melissa - he used a 1 1/2" paddle drill bit which as you probably know, will make a nice deep depression so your tea light will sit flush w/the top of the wood. A couple of the holes on mine need to be just a tiny bit wider so the LED lights will slip in
  • Terri J
    Terri J York, PA
    I got one log from the neighbor's stack that seems to be around the right sizeThe rest of his logs were to big!!! Off to find another souce!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I've had some logs in the basement for a year now, but have yet to cut them down to get under the drill press to make the holes for the FAKE tea lights. I tried to cut them with one of our chop saws, but it kicked back on me. Big time. So please anyone
    • A Life More Palletable
      Becky Same thing happened to me. The log kicked back and flew into the wall narrowly missing me. The guard on my miter saw was destroyed and I was shaken up over it for sure!
    • Becky
      Becky Blair, NE
      A Life More Palletable yep, it's not something you want to try again, that's for sure.
  • Melissa-TheHappierHomemaker
    I recently had my saw kick back on me for the first time too Becky and it scared me to death! It was on a regular piece of wood though, not a log.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Isn't it though Melissa? I thought I was in for it when that happened. Boy did I thank the Lord nothing worse than a good scare happened to me. I'm guessing that's all that happened to you too?
  • Brian Campbell, Basswood Artisan Carpentry
    This comment starts off sounding daffy, but bare with me... Years ago, when bagels were becoming widely popular in the US and they were not yet pre-sliced... ER rooms were frequently visited by people in bathrobes on weekend mornings, with sliced
  • Melissa-TheHappierHomemaker
    too funny Brian Campbell, Basswood Artisan Carpentry ! Becky i didn't get hurt, just scared...I'm not the most coordinated of people in the first place so I always get nervous with power tools!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    LOL Brian. We were told pretty much the same thing about nail gun injuries (NGRIs). While working on framing in our front porch hubby sent me in the house to start dinner and didn't wait
  • Terri J
    Terri J York, PA
    Lol too Brian, and that was the day's first laugh!

Melissa, I came back home and had to take my wreath down. Thanks for the leaves. I am still searching for another piece of a

• Melissa-TheHappierHomemaker
    Terri J I just took my wreath down too, trying to figure out what to put in its place!
  • Kimberly Jensen-Boseke
    cute idea 🇺🇸
  • Vanessa Wood
    Vanessa Wood Spring Valley, CA
    We drilled out avocado branches to make what I call "branch plants" & had them as wedding favors at my son's wedding. We also made some candles with some of the more interesting branches (and for the people who can't keep plants alive). They do make
Melissa-TheHappierHomemaker

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!