Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Washing Windows Like The Pros

I cannot take credit for this discovery; however I can tell you that it works! In my opinion this is the best way for washing windows. A cleaning company shared this tip with me four years ago, I was using glass cleaner, vinegar and newspapers. Nothing I did completely cleaned the window. This is the only thing I use now.

Items Needed for Washing Windows

(All items except the Dawn were purchased at Dollar Tree)

Dawn Dish Detergent

Small Bowl or Bucket

Scrubby Pads

Absorbent Cloths

Squeegee

231 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 24 of 231 comments | See Previous
  • Melinda Nelson
    Melinda Nelson Decatur, MS
    I wonder if it will work inside the car window!
  • Linda Hayes-Trent
    Linda Hayes-Trent Andalusia, AL
    Dawn is good for so many things. I didn't see a step for rinsing the window...
  • Helen
    Helen Tacoma, WA
    I use Eye Glass Cleaner on my mirrors and wipe with soft cotton towel, no streaks.
  • Mildred DeVore
    vinegar and newspapers, work great
  • Julie J
    Julie J Massillon, OH
    White coffee filters and vinegar/water works everytime. No ink marks from the newspaper.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    On new Pella Windows and some others you can only use vinegar and water. Any thing else will leave a build up. Any other windows I use a drop of dish soap and a really good squeegee they carry them at Lowe's for about $8.00. Fast work I drape a towel
  • From My Cherry Heart
    When I had my studio I had huge store front windows and tried everything to get rid of the streaks left from windex. One day a customer told me about this recipe so I just mixed a few squirts of dawn dish soap in a bucket with warm water, wiped the soapy
  • Linda Hayes-Trent
    Linda Hayes-Trent Andalusia, AL
    Thank you. My windows need cleaning and I'm going to use this solution.
  • Nancy Bolton
    Nancy Bolton Burlington, NC
    I just tried this on a very dirty window and it looked great.I used very warm water,maybe a bit too much dawn.How much do you use?
  • John
    John Mission Viejo, CA
    I just did my windows, some outside upstairs windows have not been done for over 2 1/2 years. the downstairs windows were just put in two months ago and were kept clean. I have a wood French door also that is over twenty five years old and has been
    • John
      John Mission Viejo, CA
      I also have a new Kholer chocolate color sink that keeps a slight foggy cover on it after use. Dawn took care of it for over a week. I replace my other dishwashing soap in my sink dispenser and the sink and all the dishes stay clean. This as my wife says
  • Elizabeth Sagarminaga
    Elizabeth Sagarminaga Mission Viejo, CA
    Wow,very nice tips and I do wish that all the tips mentioned in the post prove tobe useful for washing my windows as well. I have till now used fresh newspapersto clean my windows and they work great.
  • Melissa Gutilla
    Melissa Gutilla Stephens City, VA
    Wonder if this will work on the residue left by my dogs! I have 3 dogs and they make the living room window a terror to clean! I literally will scrub and scrub with windex and part of it is still there! I will try it tomorrow and get back with you guys
    • Chaotically Creative Co.
      Chaotically Creative Co. Murfreesboro, TN
      Melissa Gutilla Yes please let us know. I had two huge German Shepherds and it worked on our windows
    • John
      John Mission Viejo, CA
      Chaotically Creative Co. It works great. A little more elbow grease and just a touch longer and it's clean. I always start at the top and work down. This time I covered
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I have two very large dogs who both like to kiss windows and I have a lot of windows that go right down to the floor. They try to get to all of them everyday so I have a real job keeping windows looking nice. I have been using vinegar & water. I know how
  • Julie Collier
    Julie Collier Paw Paw, MI
    I have used Dawn for as long as I can remember. This is the first I have heard of washing windows. Will be giving it a try.

I have found in recent weeks, along with peroxide on my grandson's WHITE ( of all things for an 11 year old ) base ball

• Lindafalkoski
    i'd like to know the secret for getting the calcium deposits off my sun porch windows.
Chaotically Creative Co.

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing