Kitchen Counters on a DEEP budget

diy 3 days ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
It's so difficult to find a good price on kitchen counters. When I remodeled my kitchen I just didn't have thousands of dollars to spend on my counters. So I had to get creative. How could I have an expensive look on a penny budget? I made my island counter for just $36 and the rest of the counters for only $25!
Time: 2 Days Cost: $50 Difficulty: Moderate
  • After building the island using stock cabinets with a plywood top, I screwed the long pine planks from underneath, sanded and stained it. Gorgeous!
  • I did the same with my cabinets here, but I topped the cabinets with hardiboard and tiled it with 18" travertine tiles. The men at the hardware store told me it wouldn't work. That was 3 years ago! :)
  • Even though I originally planned for my budget countertops to be temporary, I still have them and I still LOVE them!

To see more:

• Robin
    Robin Astor, FL
    Great job. And I'm happy you didn't listen to the men at the hardware store. Don't you hate it when they tell ya what you can't do, and love it when you prove them wrong?
  • Bonnie Voight
    Bonnie Voight Weatogue, CT
    I love all these budget-saving ideas since I'm undertaking a kitchen remodel on a tight budget. Am having a really hard time finding affordable kitchen cabinet door replacements. Any ideas? Thanks so much.
  • Doris
    Doris Kansas City, KS
    Very pretty!
  • Bev
    Bev Cherry Hill, NJ
    I absolutely LOVE the cohesive eclectic-ness of all of the elements! BRAVA!! I am uber inspired for my major kitchen/house remodel, THANK YOU! #FEMALEPOWER!
  • Tina Schuman
    Tina Schuman Ellabell, GA
    very, very pretty
Lisa Pennington

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post