Kitchen Counters on a DEEP budget

Pink Bathroom 3 hours ago
It's so difficult to find a good price on kitchen counters. When I remodeled my kitchen I just didn't have thousands of dollars to spend on my counters. So I had to get creative. How could I have an expensive look on a penny budget? I made my island counter for just $36 and the rest of the counters for only $25!
Time: 2 Days Cost: $50 Difficulty: Moderate
  • After building the island using stock cabinets with a plywood top, I screwed the long pine planks from underneath, sanded and stained it. Gorgeous!
  • I did the same with my cabinets here, but I topped the cabinets with hardiboard and tiled it with 18" travertine tiles. The men at the hardware store told me it wouldn't work. That was 3 years ago! :)
  • Even though I originally planned for my budget countertops to be temporary, I still have them and I still LOVE them!

To see more: http://thepenningtonpoint.com/2010/04/my-kitchen/

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I love this! I wonder why they told you you couldn't do it that way? Because that's how you do flooring. Maybe it's because they just didn't think of it first!
    • Nana Katie
      Nana Katie Sandy Ridge, PA
      Sherrie Men at the hardware always tell me I can't....shows you how much they really don't know.
  • Dawn Becker
    Dawn Becker Gautier, MS
    I love it when they tell you it can't be done, we do it anyway and they end up being completely wrong....which is most of the time.
  • Robin
    Robin Astor, FL
    Great job. And I'm happy you didn't listen to the men at the hardware store. Don't you hate it when they tell ya what you can't do, and love it when you prove them wrong?
  • Bonnie Voight
    Bonnie Voight Weatogue, CT
    I love all these budget-saving ideas since I'm undertaking a kitchen remodel on a tight budget. Am having a really hard time finding affordable kitchen cabinet door replacements. Any ideas? Thanks so much.
  • Doris
    Doris Kansas City, KS
    Very pretty!
Lisa Pennington