Hometalk.com

33 Comments Displaying 15 of 33 comments | See Previous
  • Candace Seaton Huntsville, AL
    I am missing something...how do they remove static electricity? If I don't use dryer sheets my laundry goes snap crackle pop and makes my hair stand on end!
  • Hey Candace. Thanks for asking this question. I have found that the dryer balls do an excellent job of softening, fluffing, and shortening drying time, but they don't seem to do that much against static. What does work great, however, is 1/4 cup of
  • Penster47 Verona, MO
    Someone posted on another board, that putting balls made of aluminum foil in your dryer stopped static? does anyone know if this really works?
    • Penster47 It works! You have to let the foil ball cool between loads so I keep a couple nearby. I have heard though that they might be hard on the finish of newer dryers (fortunately mine are nowhere near new).
  • I tried it and it didn't work for me.
  • Pam Shipman Machesney Park, IL
    Thank you so much! I am for sure going to do this . I make my own detergent so now I can save on the softener too .
  • Penster47 Verona, MO
    There is another post on here, about making your own softener. Use 1 cup white vinegar, 1 cup of your favorite hair conditioner, and 3 cups hot water. Mix well and spray some on a cloth, coffee filters, etc and add to dryer. You could also use 1/3 cup
  • A follow up to the static question: http://www.alwayssomethinghome.com/2013/02/h...
  • Joyce Ferris Carbondale, KS
    Another option is to take a wash cloth (LABEL IT) soak it overnight in liquid laundry detergent(which is also awesome at wall paper removal) good for 40 uses. works better than dryer sheets do.
  • Pam Shipman Machesney Park, IL
    Thank you Patty for the safety pin idea. I'm going to try that.
  • Thank you for sharing this tip...will definitely have to try it! ~M
  • Abi Zimmerman Crete, IL
    I've been using my dryer balls for about 8 months now and haven't had any problems with the colors bleeding. Mine are black, grey, and white. Also, I use at least 5 per load otherwise I don't feel like it helps things dry faster. Here's a link if anyone
  • Dannie Waco, TX
    My mom used tennis balls and they worked great!
  • Colleen Fargo, ND
    Great Idea of making your own dryer balls. I've been using the purchased ball for 3 years with a little problem with static cling. In the past I did try tennis balls but they didn't cut my drying time down as much as the purchased balls. Like many , I
  • Carol Jordan Freeland, MD
    I agree w/Dannie, tennis balls work well.