House Mouse

Survival Tips 01.04.15
Light brown to black in color, small eyes, pointed nose, large ears, long tail and about 2 inches in length. The house mouse is the most common rodent pest in most parts of the world. The female mouse can give birth every three weeks to a dozen babies, that's 150 babies a year! Their diet consists mainly of plants & grains but they will eat meat & dairy products as well and require very little water to survive. House mice nest in and around structures, especially in stacked firewood, stones, bricks, leaves and other debris. They establish a territory near food sources, generally 10 to 30 feet from their nest. House mice breed throughout the year and often share nests with their "relatives". House mice spread disease through bite wounds and contaminating food & water with their waste products. They can also spread disease through parasites such as ticks, fleas & mites. These parasites bite the infected mouse and then spread the disease by biting humans, this is why controlling rodent problems are extremely important. Prevention tips include: 1) Eliminate harborage in and around the house. Do not allow piles of leaves to accumulate next to the home, remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, firewood, etc. 2) Seal holes & cracks inside & outside the home. Mice can fit through a hole as small as 1/4 in length. 3) Mice eat 15-20 times a day, so never leave food out. 4) Empty
  • Becky (J) P
    Becky (J) P Highland, IL
    sure, it was all fun and games until I came home tonight and the hubby said we had a mouse in the garage. lol
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    People need to understand you need to Kill these critters. They harbor all sorts of disease and can cause issues with pregnant woman. The mouse droppings when they become dried out and airborne, are much worse then mold that everyone worries about. Kill
  • Monica Koerperich
    Monica Koerperich Ocean Springs, MS
    OK, OK, Why pick on the little mouse. So ugly it is kinda cute. I had a light brown one move into my dishtowel drawer. I tried to be nice, you know! catch and release. This went on for about a month or so. I named him Charles. Charles had to go! Worse
  • Breanna C
    Breanna C Salisbury, NC
    You can also make a spray out of the peppermint essential oils and spray around baseboards and around the perimeter of the house and that will keep them away too.
  • Breanna C
    Breanna C Salisbury, NC
    I have a huge yard and empty houses across the street and on the street behind me. I keep my house as mouse-proof as possible but just in case, that's why I have cats!!!
  • Jenadamo
    Jenadamo Metuchen, NJ
    Great! Thanks, Becky.
  • Goose Grove
    Goose Grove Belleville, IL
    I live next to an open field- and that's why I've got cats!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Jenadamo my hubby only does this once a year and so far no mice other than the one I brought in.
  • Jean
    Jean Kevil, KY
    Peppermint essential oil IS pure peppermint oil. What you are probably thinking of, that will NOT work is peppermint extract used for cooking.
  • Mark Sanborn
    Mark Sanborn Clarksville, TN
    Don't forget to store grass seed, pet food, and bird food in tight fitting covered heavy plastic or metal containers.
  • Jenadamo
    Jenadamo Metuchen, NJ
    Becky, do you have to re-oil or add new cotton balls periodically? I'm headed to the health food store shortly. I hate mice and can't have cats.
  • Cindy Mink
    Cindy Mink Winston Salem, NC
    Uh...I used to breed 'fancy' mice for pet stores...the little critters have a way of escaping...hehehehe....thank heavens for good mousers! :)
  • Jeanine Wester
    Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    totally agree lol! Although, I did have a pet rat for several years, so I guess I did welcome one into my house.
  • Becky (J) P
    Becky (J) P Highland, IL
    ok, I'll be the one to say it........isn't he cute! (not in my house, he isn't, but he's still cute)
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    You're both very welcome. It's worked for eight years now, though I can't say we've never had a mouse in the house since then, but I can say when we did it was MY fault. I brought it in with something that had been stored in the garage. I thought I'd
A-1 Watkins Pest & Termite Control