Hometalk.com

11.26.12

Africanized Honey Bee (Killer Bee)

Africanized Honey Bees are about 1/2 inch in length, oval in shape, golden-yellow with dark brown bands and fuzzy. These Africanized Bees are the result of a scientific experiment, when European Honeybees and African Bees (which are accustomed to hot temperatures) were brought to Brazil in the 1950's to breed with each other in an effort to create a honeybee that would produce honey in hot, tropical climates. The experiment was not as successful as they hoped because unlike the mild-mannered European Honeybee, the new Africanized Honeybee had a very aggresive nature, earning them the nickname "Killer Bee". The sting of an Africanized Honeybee is no more potent than another variety of Honeybee and can only sting once, however, what makes them more dangerous is that they are easily provoked, quick to swarm, attack in greater numbers and will pursue victims for greater distances, increasing your chances of a severe allergic reaction which can be life-threatening, especially to people allergic to stings or with limited capacity to escape (the young, the old and handicapped, confined livestock and pets. If stung, seek shelter in a house or car. Do not jump in the water, they will just wait around until you come up for air. Once safe, remove stingers from your skin to reduce the amount of venom they inject and seek medical attention. Even though Bees are potentially dangerous,
11 Comments Displaying 11 of 11 comments
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Reading this very interesting information, I didn't know how killer bees came to be, I realized my heart was racing. Not for fear of being attacked, but the memory of our son being chased and attacked by a swarm of bees. Luckily I had the windows open
  • Just reading your story made me get goose bumps. Being a mother myself, I can image how scared you were at the time.
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Well, I'm not sure I was scared at the time. I remember being totally confused at what I saw. I mean until he got close enough it looked more as if he was going a bit bonkers the way he was flailing around and screaming. When I saw it was bees
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    A-1 Watkins Pest & Termite Control how neat to learn the beginnings of this bee. We really should avoid all this genetic and hybrid engineering. I know we are looking for a positive outcome,
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Thank you Dee. It took him a long time to even look at pictures of, or talk about bees.
  • Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Oh Good grief Becky! That's terrible!!!! Obviously the neighbor kid did that on purpose so what happened to him? Was your son friends with him after that? This information on bees and how they became "killer" is so interesting.... but it sounds like your
  • Becky Blair, NE
    You could be right Sharron. I've never been able to tell one from the other. Hornets look very similar to honey bees when you're not really paying attention to them. LOL
  • Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Becky Well I only think hornets because they are native almost everywhere and the "killer bees" weren't around when your son was that little, at least not in your area at that time...and
  • Becky Blair, NE
    I hadn't even heard of killer bees back then Sharron. They looked like bees to me with their striped hineys. I'm sure at one time I learned about bees and hornets in school, but I must have forgotten it all. Thanks for the lesson. I find stuff like this
  • Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Well believe it or not, SOME people collect those nests and they are actually quite desirable for decorating.... don't get me wrong...I don't want one....I'd be afraid the buggers might want it back...but well built nests are seriously cool to look at...
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Yikes! That's a very scary thought Sharron! I just Googled bee hives just to make sure I was visualizing them right and though the honeycomb can be beautiful I'm inclined to agree with you about using them in home decor.
  • Likes

Sharron W Connie