Hometalk.com

Decor Ideas 01.29.14

How to Remove Urine Smell From Carpet

I had an incident where my cat urinated all over my rug while we were out of town. Here is the solution that worked to get the urine smell out. This was a small rug so I was able to remove it from the room and take it outside where I flipped it over and sprinkled it with baking soda. Then using vinegar I saturated the piece of carpet and let it sit for an hour. Find out my results below.

To see more: http://askannamoseley.com/2012/12/how-to-remove-urine-smell-from-carpet/

108 Comments Displaying 16 of 108 comments | See Previous
  • Soak up as much urine as you can, sprinkle the urine spot with baking soda and spray it good with peroxide (peroxide kills the enzymes in the urine) let it stand for 5 or 10 minutes. Soak up the peroxide and spray the area good with alcohol, let it
    • GG Sisseton, SD
      Vpar I have several cats, and also occasionally take in fosters. This combination works very well.
  • Lori Milwaukee, WI
    My newest problem is a cat (inherited two from my son) who has decided it is more fun to poop in the corner of the living room. He always used his litterbox when he first moved here but my own 18 yr old cat showed his objection to this new addition by
  • Karilon K Chapel Hill, NC
    If the cat started pooping in the corner, put a litter box in that spot. That goes for any area in the house where a cat may be urinating or pooping. Even though you don't want a litter box there, do it for awhile to see if you can correct the behavior
    • Lori Milwaukee, WI
      Karilon K Unfortunately, I believe this is what CAUSED the behavior. My elderly cat started piddling there to avoid going in the basement to his box because the new arrivals liked to stay
    • Karilon K Chapel Hill, NC
      Lori It's very frustrating, I know. I have had to deal with cats marking up different areas in my home too! The new cat is picking up the urine smell in the corner where the old cat was going and
  • Ralph Longs, SC
    try covering the area with table salt , works well on our beige carpet, dries up the urine and removes the stain. just vacuum it up after salt has dried urine.
  • Sharon Curry Visalia, CA
    You can go on Kirby.com and order direct or any Kirby Vacuum distributor should have it.
  • Scott Canada
    www.ultraone.com Great product for removing odors!
  • Angela Sanchez Colombia
    me encantan sus proyectos me gustan las ideas que dan para las casas de campo soy angela sanchez de cali-colombia
  • Bev Downers Grove, IL
    There is a product available at the pet store that eliminates the root cause of the odor. It has an enzyme in it that acts on the urine and neutralizes it. I used it successfully in a basement of a house I purchased where two cats had been having a
  • Carol Harris Jonesboro, AR
    Spot Shop work well
  • Christine Upper Marlboro, MD
    I really hope you never have any hot humid days in your home. That's like someone putting baby powder on raging B.O. and calling it done. If you don't get the enzymes out of the carpet, they're gonna be there forE.V.E.R.
  • Dawn Shellenberger Beaver Springs, PA
    Just wanted you to know Ann that I tried this and it did work very well

thanks so much for the tip

• Naqqarahh United Kingdom
    One of my Russian Blues that I rehomed would insist on pooping next to the tray.I now use a Feliway plug in and he is so much better.Some cats don't cope well when being rehomed and feel insecure.Feliway has cat pheromones in it that makes them feel