How to Remove Urine Smell From Carpet

cleaning 11.02.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I had an incident where my cat urinated all over my rug while we were out of town. Here is the solution that worked to get the urine smell out. This was a small rug so I was able to remove it from the room and take it outside where I flipped it over and sprinkled it with baking soda. Then using vinegar I saturated the piece of carpet and let it sit for an hour. Find out my results below.
  • Sprinkle the rug (or carpet) with baking soda.
  • Spray the rug (carpet) with white vinegar and then let it sit for about 5-10 minutes while it works to eliminate the smell.

To see more:

• Kathleen
    Kathleen Antioch, CA
    We use "Dumb Cat". The formula works on an enzymatic level. Works great!
  • Patsy
    Patsy Destrehan, LA
    The most effective and safe product to kill pet urine or any really bad organic smell, is Odormute. It's a powder that you mix with water. As soon as it hits the smell, it kills it. It comes in fragrance free and one with a mild fragrance. Unlike other
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Cindy, I know what you mean about an aging pet. That is a phase I am not looking forward to as our precious one matures. She is now 5 and has never had an accident in the house! She was a stray that we adopted when she was about 10 months old. She was so
  • Faith Marsh
    Faith Marsh Wichita, KS
    Walmart also sells a product called kids and pet and it is the best. Cost around 5 dollars and it really does the job!

• Jessica Scott
    Jessica Scott Klamath Falls, OR
    My daughter had an accident in my bed once and I used baking powder and peroxide. I have a white bed so I wasn't worried about bleaching, it did the trick perfectly!
  • Cindy D
    Cindy D Frisco, TX
    I have a 165 lb. Great Dane that will tell us she wants out but apparently in the middle of the night she can't hold it anymore with her upwards age then goes on the carpet upstairs, is horrid....I have a carpet cleaner machine but what takes
  • Becky Todd
    Becky Todd Mitchell, SD
    I have used peroxide in a spray bottle on the carpet where my son chose to pee and it removed the odor. I also have sprayed his mattress when there was an accident and used a fan to air dry things. No more smelly odor.
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I am happy to see Odoban mentioned! That is the ONLY thing I have ever found that completely eliminates odor. As for large rugs, if you have a slanted driveway, lay it out on the driveway, wet it good with the hose, spray it generously with Odoban--get
  • Vincent Valle
    Vincent Valle Palm Coast, FL

Cat Urine, consists of mainly three chemical parts the urea, which makes the urine sticky and allows the other two parts to

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    I had a rental house and had to sand and reseal the floors after cat urine went through the carpet. Cheryl if you knew me you would know I am not a vinegar fan! But I had old yucky carpets and used few teaspoons in my carpet cleaner. : ). And since
  • Cheryl
    Cheryl Havre De Grace, MD
    Be careful with some carpet. My mom has very expensive beige carpet and as her dog aged she tried the vinegar--it left rings and light yellow spots. Nanette F--don't be too critical as some of us have older dogs or diabetic dogs who do not have great
  • Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    One of our cats had decided to pee in our bedroom and he kept gong in the same place no matter how I cleaned it. Before we had new carpeting installed we were told to pull up the carpet in that area and paint the floor with primer. Primer sealed the
  • Nanette F
    Nanette F Mount Juliet, TN
    never heard about the mouthwash, have 7 dogs, though all well housetrained, hate thunder/rain, then smaller dogs refuse to go out. Will try. Anne in MS, if a lot of urine has soaked the carpet and thru to padding, u may have no choice but to replace it,
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    mouth wash does work I tried it on a customers house after reading the tip here recently. I have used vinegar for carpets before I had wood floors in my carpet cleaner.
  • Leslie D
    Leslie D Las Vegas, NV
    Nothing is better to eliminate urine odor than mouthwash. Just spray, put a couple of paper towels over it and the towels will absorb the odor as the mouthwash evaporates. Works like a charm.
Anna M

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post