Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
DIY Projects 3 days ago

Cleaning Silver

My New Year's clean sweep as usual turned into a week long project where I get in the weeds trying to organize the house for a fresh start. Cleaning up after the holiday parties turned into a complete reorg of every serving piece in the house. I decided to give a try to an idea I'd seen on Pinterest for cleaning silver. I collect yard sale silver plated serving pieces so I was looking for a quick way to shine them up. I lined the sink with foil, added some generous scoops of salt and baking soda and filled the sink with scalding hot water. The chemical reaction resulting from the aluminum, salt and soda removed the tarnish! It actually worked! Lesson learned. Dip the entire piece at once or you'll get a line of demarcation on your piece. I also kept adding hot water and more ingredients because the hotter the water, the quicker it works. Remove the pieces from the solution and buff the remaining spots off with a cotton cloth.
21 Comments Displaying 15 of 21 comments | See Previous
  • Carolyn M
    I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing :)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Joe
    Joe Moberly, MO
    find the book haleys hints...
  • Toni Yates
    Toni Yates Purcellville, VA
    I will be trying this!
  • Sandra Whittier
    Sandra Whittier Round Rock, TX
    As a finish very tightly wrap the piece in clear wrap and it's good to go for a couple of years. (I hate to clean silver)
    • Jackie Steel
      Jackie Steel Holiday, FL
      Sandra Whittier I usually end up not using mine for that same reason, I HATE to clean it. I'm going to give this a try. Thx!!!
  • Rene Hunter
    Rene Hunter Bolivia, NC
    Works. Great.. I found the more quality. The silver. The better and faster. It works. No smell or harsh chemicals
  • Pat Kukachka
    Pat Kukachka Minneapolis, MN
    If you decide to store the pieces in plastic, first wrap it in paper towels or you may get oxidation marks where the plastic touches the silver. If left for a length of time, the plastic can adhere to the silver. Then you may need a polish with
  • Amy Minden
    Amy Minden Fort Smith, AR
    Oh wow! looking for a great way to clean my silver, and silver plated. I wonder if this works on jewelry?? If anyone has tried it let me know : )
  • Lynn Lawson
    Lynn Lawson Calhoun, GA
    Thank you!!!
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    After rereading your post, I know where you went wrong. You need a large metal dishpan to fit on the stove. Line it with Aluminum foil or just lay strips of foil in it. You can even use strips of solid aluminum. The best thing is an aluminum dish pan for
  • Lynn Lawson
    Lynn Lawson Calhoun, GA
    I used the idea of soaking in my sink and it worked beautifully on my mom's old silver, that had been in storage in newspaper for 6 yrs. The silverware is sparkling and the design stands out. Thank you again for suggesting this. I was able to do a full
  • Kerry Lang
    Kerry Lang South River, NJ
    I have mine soaking now.....these are old teapots from a friends mother...how long do you leave them in?! I already see clean parts!!!!!! :)
  • Joanna Johnson
    Joanna Johnson Australia
    I had no idea I can clean silver with baking soda. Thanks for sharing these great tips. Now this ring I bought a couple of months ago ( http://osirisjewellery.com/wp-content/upload... ) can be perfectly cleaned thanks to your advice. :)
  • Margaret
    Margaret Arroyo Grande, CA
    Beware the plastic wrap! I bought a set of gold flatware at an antique store that I polished and wrapped in plastic years ago. The plastic ended up bonding with the silverware and I tried everything I could think of to get it off. Scraping with my
  • Becky Powell
    Becky Powell Charleston, MO
    will this work on jewelry?
Danielle B

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!