Cleaning Silver

Plants 08.19.15
My New Year's clean sweep as usual turned into a week long project where I get in the weeds trying to organize the house for a fresh start. Cleaning up after the holiday parties turned into a complete reorg of every serving piece in the house. I decided to give a try to an idea I'd seen on Pinterest for cleaning silver. I collect yard sale silver plated serving pieces so I was looking for a quick way to shine them up. I lined the sink with foil, added some generous scoops of salt and baking soda and filled the sink with scalding hot water. The chemical reaction resulting from the aluminum, salt and soda removed the tarnish! It actually worked! Lesson learned. Dip the entire piece at once or you'll get a line of demarcation on your piece. I also kept adding hot water and more ingredients because the hotter the water, the quicker it works. Remove the pieces from the solution and buff the remaining spots off with a cotton cloth.
  • Prepping the sink
  • The ingredients
  • Before
  • Test run
  • Before
  • After
  • You can see the lip where it wasn't submerged fully. 5 min for the piece, but another 15 to get this to come off.
  • I went a little overboard
  • After
  • The tarnish transferred to the foil
  • Joseth Scott
    Joseth Scott Hinesville, GA
    Wow, who woulda thunkit! I inherited my m.i.l silver 36 yrs ago & they haven't been cleaned since:( this is an easy way to give it a shot. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • Nancy Nadin
    Nancy Nadin Northfield, OH
    I do believe that this method will eliminate any black "shadings" on silver pieces that are there for giving the piece depth...or maybe that's the foil and Tide laundry powder method!!!
  • Barbara Enright
    Barbara Enright Des Plaines, IL
    Wonder if I could use this idea on my tarnished copper molds
  • Kimberly Sims
    Kimberly Sims Harvest, AL
    A little water and a product called Twinkle....best tarnish remover ever! No work
  • Molly Moo
    Molly Moo Oakland, OR
    I want to know how you ended up living in my house without me noticing!
Danielle B