Cleaning Your HE Washer with Household Products

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I did an experiment and it worked! No more expensive tablets to clean our HE washing machine! Visit our blog to see what I'm using only cost pennies using the household products!
  • I'm sold on the household products, no more wasting money for us!
  • Before cleaning and after. WOW!

To see more:

• Sharon
    Sharon Knoxville, TN
    I use the Tide washer cleaner. You can find it in the laundry aisle, usually on the top shelf with the Tide products. It is not as expensive as the tablets and works well, although I am definitely going to try the vinegar and baking soda. Thank you so
  • Clover House, DeeDee
    Hi Chris J! I would think that it would work perfectly fine for your top loader as well. You may want to try a hot water cycle with bleach and see if that does the trick first. .
  • .
    . Albert, OK
    Chris J, do you leave the door open after every wash? I found that's a must with an HE washer.
  • Chris J
    Chris J Grand Rapids, MI
    I have a top loading HE Maytag. Do you think the vinegar and baking soda would so the same thing? I used the sample of Afresh that came with the washer, and I couldn't tell any difference in the smell of the washer or in how the machine looked. The
  • Terryspansy
    terryspansy Milton, FL
    Thanks DeeDee
  • Clover House, DeeDee
    You're welcome Kim Mullins Sturgill! Keep us posted on how it works out for you! :)
  • Kim Mullins Sturgill
    I love my HE washer. But it can get NASTY... Ill try this .. Thanks
  • Clover House, DeeDee
    You're very welcome Terryspansy! I'm glad to know your older HE machine is still going strong! :)
  • Terryspansy
    terryspansy Milton, FL
    Thanks for posting. My washing machine that is a HE has been one of the first ones on the market made by Maytag many years ago. Still lovin' it. Had to replace the seal once. But that was because the seal was ripped by son washing laundry. Back then, you
  • Clover House, DeeDee
    Thanks Eve T, I've always used vinegar to freshen my laundry (like towels) when they need be. You're right, it works great!
  • Eve T
    Eve T San Diego, CA
    I have been using Vinegar ONLY and it has always worked great for me.. clean my machine once a month and never have had a problem, still looks like new......
  • Clover House, DeeDee
    You are very welcome Sondra A!
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    I don't have an HE machine (perhaps someday) but will have to keep this in mind. However, this is something I do to my regular washing machine when I remember. Thanks for the reminder.
  • .
    . Albert, OK
    I will. Thanks.
  • Clover House, DeeDee
    Thanks . ! I don't imagine it would hurt anything, that's for sure! I'd give it a whirl! :)
Clover House, DeeDee

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post