Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Decor Ideas 8 hours ago

Tips For A Blissfully Organized Pantry

Since the pantry is behind closed doors, it's easy to constantly take food out and put more in without giving much thought to its order (or the stuff wedged in the back!) But over time, things can become so disorganized that you forget what you have, and food goes bad or you end up buying more of something you don't need.

-Begin by removing everything from the pantry and clean the space. Lay everything out on a countertop or table, and take stock of what you actually have.

-Start by throwing out any expired foods. Then, organize foods into like groups, like canned goods, spice packets, and cereals.

-If you have a lot of small items like dry soup mixes and spice packets, try hanging a plastic shoe organizer on the inside of the door. The compartments are the perfect size for smaller odds and ends that tend to get lost.

-To help other family members put food back in the right place, try labeling the shelves with a Label Maker for organizational ease.

#OrganizedHome

Time: 90 Minutes Cost: $15.00 Difficulty: Easy
25 Comments Displaying 15 of 25 comments | See Previous
  • Carol B
    Carol B Wilton, CT
    I had a pantry like this, only 3x deeper. Completely ineffective. Finally moved a refrigerator into the spot and added cabinets and a counter where the refrigerator had been. Now I have more accessible food stuffs and additional counter space.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Kathleen M
    Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    This is a great idea... hadn't thought of it :) Another use for the shoe organizers for the ladies out there.. your bras....yep. If you have special bra pantie sets it works awesome and keeps them tidy, easy to find instead of digging through a drawer :)
  • Jayne Wilson
    Jayne Wilson Bossier City, LA
    Love it!!!
  • Elaine Simmons
    Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    I have always used a shoe organizer for plastic bags, tin foil, plastic wrap, etc.
  • Susan Hurlburt
    luv these have one in every room :)
  • Diane S
    Diane S Wantagh, NY
    Cleaver.
  • Gina J
    Gina J Savannah, GA
    I have used a shoe organizer for LONG time. Not just for food but other things, chip clips, twist ties. Almost anything!!!
  • Kathi Q
    Kathi Q Simi Valley, CA
    When my children were younger I hung one in the closet in our entryway. This way my little ones knew where all the gloves, snow gloves, ear muffs, etc. were stored. As the children have gotten older, they still will go there to look for gloves, ear
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I love organization and neat pantries...only thing...can't keep them neat! I think I will put a lock on the door and be the keeper of the key! Grant access and perform a neatness inspection before relocking door! Yep! that would work!
  • Eleanor P
    Eleanor P Brooksville, FL
    Love those shoebags! I have them in my closet, bathroom and and utility closet. Now if I just had a pantry (sigh!) I would use one there. Keep those organizing ideas coming - love them!!
  • Jennifer C
    Jennifer C Ocean Isle Beach, NC
    I have a shoe organizer (with see through compartments just like the one pictured) hanging on the back of my bathroom door - it's perfect for all sorts of extra toiletries, shampoos, bath salts, hair clips, curling iron, wash cloths, pretty much anything
  • Call
    I use a similar over-the-door organizer in the closet of my spare bedroom/office to keep electronics cords sorted and neat. Never have to go hunting for a cord because they're all in one location and labeled!
  • P M B
    P M B Franklin, TN
    Have used this idea for many years... love how these can be so 'multi-functional'... just got one, cut in half to add to my kitchen under sick door for all those 'crazy' items that keep messing up the space under there.. much easier to get to and keeps
  • P M B
    P M B Franklin, TN
    *oops... misspelled sink... (sick)... :)
  • Diana Fuller
    Diana Fuller Birmingham, AL
    Great idea. I will try this soon.
AK Complete Home Renovations

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!