Hometalk.com

09.29.11

I've got recurring white mushrooms (or toadstools) in my front lawn (bermuda).

They seem to be multiplying. This isn't good, right? I've got a lawn service (Tru Green) and someone who cuts my lawn and tends to my shrubs. Shouldn't someone be doing something or telling me to do something about these things? What should I do?
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Robin H Acworth, GA
    Good question...I am having the same problem.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Considering all the issues one faces with a yard, mushrooms have always been a pretty low priority for me. It probably just means you're finally getting rain. You can collect them and toss them on your compost pile, or you can practice your golf swing on
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    My guess is that the area which you have the mushrooms is wetter than the rest of your lawn, which is sort of unusual for this very dry year we are having. Try to get the area dyer. You can ask your lawn service to bag the clippings when they mow your
  • Teresa D Snellville, GA
    They seem to appear shortly after my lawn has been cut. Maybe my yard guys brought it from some other yard? It sounds as if there is no potential damage to my lawn with them growing there. They are unsightly. Cool to see in a meadow or somewhere out
  • Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    They do no damage except to your eyes. Pick them out and dispose of them.
  • Shane Tallant Nashville, TN
    I have been experiencing (fighting with) these myself in my own yard. I have found that they pop up after a big rain or heavy watering. I have also noticed that I can pull them up and they don't seem to do any harm to the grass. They aren't
  • Itsreally C Marietta, GA
    mushrooms show up when soil's sweet OR sour, walter ? or am i totally incorrect ? tnx
  • Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    I'm not sure if typical soil pH has much to do with mushrooms. They pop up when the underlying fungal mass is happy and decides to reproduce.
  • Itsreally C Marietta, GA
    thanks, walter ! i was wrong :-)
  • Kimberly Lacy Snellville, GA
    Hello, Teresa!

I thought I'd add a few suggestions. Mushrooms thrive in moisture. Reduce watering significantly, and don't over fertilize.