Hometalk.com

Before & After 6 days ago

Coffee Stations from Re-Purposed Dressers

A big part of why I created Gypsy Barn was to find creative and inventive ways to keep things from going to the landfill or burn sites, when they are still useable in some way shape or form. Old dressers have such beautiful wood and shapes and designs, I hated seeing them sent off to the dump. Even using the wood for signs, coat hooks, shelves, whatever, they are still useable. A year and a half ago I made the first coffee station, and now, I am getting requests non stop for them!

Inspiration - I sat looking at an old dresser one day, and thought, there has to be SOMETHING to use this for, even without the drawers ... and walking through a furniture store, I started paying more attention to sofa tables and entertainment units. There is a lot of wood, and a lot of empty space going on there. Just like the dressers! Hmmmmmm. Then, we got a keurig. Cups were in the cupboard, little coffee pucks were on the counter, sugar in the pantry, spoons in a drawer at the other end of the counter ...... Why not create a space for it all. Voila - Coffee station. Everything in one little place. Hidden away, neat and clean.

Keeping in line with the "keep the landfills empty" we bought the K-cup and use our own coffee. All those empty coffee pucks getting

Difficulty: Moderate
24 Comments Displaying 15 of 24 comments | See Previous
  • Joni Whitfield Montevallo, AL
    I really like your work!!! I Just started repurposing/refinishing furniture myself, actually posted the first 3 pieces today on craigslist, keep your fingers crossed for me please ; ). I plan on trying to do a couple of my other pieces with your
  • Gypsy Barn Canada
    Joni, I am all self taught. It was a few years of trial and error ans selling at a low price calling them "prototypes" but it worked out in the end for sure! It's hard to give helpful hints because so many re-finishers have so many different points of
  • Leslie H Rancho Cordova, CA
    I love these. You rock! My fav is the red and black, it's so stunning.
  • Gypsy Barn Canada
    Thank you Leslie!!!! I haven't done one in ages! I should do another!
  • Robin Norris Lake Charles, LA
    I just wish I had some imagination to think about such things when I see old beat-up furniture. Thank God for Hometalk.
  • Bridget M Arnold, MD
    The one you kept is gorgeous!
  • Sharon McKusick Cottage Grove, MN
    We use an empty Folgers coffee can for the used grounds, I hear you can paint them so they too can be pretty for the coffee station.
  • I have the perfect piece to refinish and the space for one. What a fabulous idea! I too got a Keurig from my son and pieces everywhere.
  • What is Graphic Fairy Images? These are really cool~
  • Belinda Holloway Billings, MT
    really like these
  • Janet W Sumner, WA
    Love this! What a great idea...and as for the K Cups...I am re-using mine to start seeds in for my garden....there is always a re-use around here. I also use all those big yogurt to grow plants in.
  • Marie S Canada
    I have a dresser from my great aunt, that is such a good idea you have there. Just love those dresser. :-)
  • B. J. Newton Edmond, OK
    fabulous project! would also make a wonderful bar station or small island for a kitchen...
  • I have seen this done at a bed and breakfast we stayed at!! Loved it then and loved your fresh ideas now!
  • MacGIRLver Canada
    You do beautiful work, keep saving these treasures from the landfill!