How to laminate fabric to refurb high traffic kid's table

I purchased a 1960's folding card table and chairs from an estate sale for $20. The table top and seats were covered in avocado vinyl that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it's last party, 40 years ago.

To bring this classic furniture back to life, but keep it's retro flare, I laminated funky fabric to redo the table top vinyl while allowing the chairs and table to match. Iron-on vinyl laminate was the perfect solution to restoring the retro look and retaining the functional attributes of an easy to clean surface.

I spent less than $20 on fabric and iron-on laminate to restore the table and chairs.

Time: 1 Day Cost: $28 Difficulty: Moderate
  • Before photo of 1960s card table with avocado green vinyl
  • After photo of card table / kids table with laminated fabric top and matching chairs

To see more:

• Sharen
    Sharen Johnson City, TN
    Wow I love your creativity,and beautiful work on the table......Im always picking up old and worn furniture to refurbish. You have given me a great new idea...thanks
  • Gina
    Gina East China, MI
    The link for more info is not working. The chair seat looks thin- same as what I am dealing with. I was going to use staples (which is what it looks like the original makers used) but any staples I can find are too long and will go through the particle
  • Cristin Frank
    Cristin Frank Buffalo, NY
    Hi Gina, I just updated the link. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Tammie Housley
    Tammie Housley Lenoir City, TN
    This is a great idea....and turned out great! My son found me an old desk that I plan on re-doing as a sewing table. Plan on using chalk paint on the bottom but have been searching for an idea for the top. Thanks for the tip!
  • Dee
    Dee Canada
    Brilliant. I love using fabric to refurb things!
Cristin Frank

Search Feedback