Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 02.11.14

How to laminate fabric to refurb high traffic kid's table

I purchased a 1960's folding card table and chairs from an estate sale for $20. The table top and seats were covered in avocado vinyl that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since it's last party, 40 years ago.

To bring this classic furniture back to life, but keep it's retro flare, I laminated funky fabric to redo the table top vinyl while allowing the chairs and table to match. Iron-on vinyl laminate was the perfect solution to restoring the retro look and retaining the functional attributes of an easy to clean surface.

I spent less than $20 on fabric and iron-on laminate to restore the table and chairs.

Time: 1 Day Cost: $28 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://eveofreduction.com/before-after-retro-card-table-redo/

10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Deana Chrisman Springfield, OR
    where does one get Iron-on Laminate?
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    This looks like a whole new table. Nice work.
  • The Robin's Nest Warner Robins, GA
    The table turned out very nice, this is something that I'm going to definitely have to try.

PS: I have successfully used fabric and printed paper to cover furniture using hodpodge and/or water based poly to seal it,

• Becky Blair, NE
    I love it! Very well done.
  • Cristin Frank Buffalo, NY
    Deana, I bought the iron-on laminate at Joann's - it came in a roll.
  • Sharen Johnson City, TN
    Wow I love your creativity,and beautiful work on the table......Im always picking up old and worn furniture to refurbish. You have given me a great new idea...thanks
  • Gina East China, MI
    The link for more info is not working. The chair seat looks thin- same as what I am dealing with. I was going to use staples (which is what it looks like the original makers used) but any staples I can find are too long and will go through the particle
  • Cristin Frank Buffalo, NY
    Hi Gina, I just updated the link. Thanks for the heads up!