CAN ALUMINUM SIDING BE PAINTED?

Gardens 04.26.15
Q: My house has aluminum siding. It is really worn and faded. Can aluminum siding be painted or should I think about replacing it?

A: This is a GREAT home repair question. No need to replace it. You can paint your aluminum siding. Aluminum will last forever. Paint left on any surface will oxidize over time.You just don't see it on wood because the paint peels before it oxidizes. The cure for the siding is to power wash the oxidized paint off as much as possible.Sometimes brushing it off as well. Then simply paint two coats then you are good for another 25 years. I recommend a satin finish to restore the metallic look.

• Don't use anything less than a top-of-the-line acrylic latex paint.
  • Be sure to remove chalk
  • Use a flat or satin (low-lustre) finish if siding is dented
  • Julie H
    Julie H Lititz, PA
    So, if our siding is white, you're suggesting that we can't paint it any other color?
  • Great Home Painting
    Great Home Painting Morrisville, PA
    Julie, no that's not what we are saying but you don't want to go too dark especially if you are talking about vinyl siding. Check out this link to various paint "families". If your siding is white, try to keep your selection in the White family or the
  • Comet
    Comet Oradell, NJ
    Not sure if this is the "best" place to post this but will also make new post--we have a manufactured home built in 1977 with that awful green--you know the one!!!!--alum siding. Metal NOT vinyl. Never been painted. has white trim on soffit etc. Now the
  • Dennis
    Dennis Hesperia, MI
    can you tell me if it is best or necessary to use an aluminum base paint.
Great Home Painting