What to do with fireplace ashes

GARDENING 2 days ago
There are many more uses for fireplace ashes than I ever knew. 1. Compost bin - only a little amongst the organic matter. 2. A light layer around plants can keep slugs away. 3. A tablespoon of ash to 1000 gallons of water for a pond will keep algae down.. 4. As a fertilizer. 5. Cleaning silver.

Can you give more ways to use ashes?

To see more: http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/ashes-from-fireplace.html

• Mari Dots
    Mari Dots Terrell, TX
    I'm trying it on my lawn to see if it will deter the moles who have taken up residence here. I dumped a bunch of ashes yesterday on the holes, I'll see what happens. I'm willing to try anything to be rid of the moles that are destroying my yard.
  • Judy Knight
    Judy Knight Crestview, FL
    What wonderful Ideas for Ash.
  • Patricia Lanza
    Patricia Lanza Crossville, TN
    I am either really old or really country! Wood ash has ben a part of garden improvement for ever. We live in Tennessee where burning wood is constant so cleaning out the ashes is also. My gardens depend on layers of organic material every winter. I don't
  • Betsy@Coastal-Colors
    Thanks for sharing this!
  • Kara Hosman
    Kara Hosman Utopia, TX
    Put on fire-ant hills.
    • Linda B
      Linda B Trumbull, CT
      Kara Hosman Thank God we don't have those things here in the northeast. Of course, we get snow and this winter, plenty of it.
  • Vicki Melton
    Vicki Melton Fort Smith, AR
    Mix wood ash in equal parts with flour, then put it on wet plants, so it will stick well. This deters or kills the "worms" that eat the leaves. I learned this trick from on old lady, with amazing gardens. years ago when I lived in OKC, and it works.
  • Shevon Madden
    Shevon Madden Berea, KY
    we add it to our chickens' dust bins & critter corrals to help keep parasites down
  • Linda Dronen
    Linda Dronen Ferndale, WA
    I've heard it helps if you put ashes on your rhubarb plants. They grow much larger. Thanks for all the ideas, will certainly try them out this winter.
  • Sandy B
    Sandy B Glenmont, OH
    @Kathy M., If I know it won't rain for awhile, I too put them on the ground in their run, but with this cold temps, and blowing snow, I shut my coop up, and put the ashes in a wooden box inside for them to use. I also put them in the garden, and on my
  • Penster47
    Penster47 Verona, MO
    Just be sure that there are not hot spots in your ashes before you dump them on your compost or you'll end up with all ashes and no compost!! lol
  • Mari Dots
    Mari Dots Terrell, TX
    thanks Angel, I'll give that a try! I had this issue in Kentucky and they nearly destroyed 2 acres of land. My dog caught a mole the other day, thats how I know its moles, I was thinking it was armadillos coming in the yard. I'll try the pin wheels.
  • Anna Mellen
    I use some when making lye soap.
  • Beverly Blough
    Beverly Blough Belpre, OH
    R
  • Cherrie Heikes
    Cherrie Heikes Olney Springs, CO
    Since I use wood for heating I have ash all winter to add to my planting area and plenty for my laying hens too. Although I normally allow to sit prior to dumping this year I have carefully been using the hot ash to help get stickers under control along
    • Linda B
      Linda B Trumbull, CT
      Cherrie Heikes Thanks for this tip, Cherrie, and for adding to the discussion about what to do with fireplace ashes.
  • Sarah Sarich
    I usually dump the ashes on the compost without worrying about ratios. It always seems to work out. In the Spring, though, I use the last couple of fires for ash to put on the turnip and parsnip beds instead of compost.
Linda B