What to do with fireplace ashes

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
There are many more uses for fireplace ashes than I ever knew. 1. Compost bin - only a little amongst the organic matter. 2. A light layer around plants can keep slugs away. 3. A tablespoon of ash to 1000 gallons of water for a pond will keep algae down.. 4. As a fertilizer. 5. Cleaning silver.

Can you give more ways to use ashes?

To see more: http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/ashes-from-fireplace.html

• Linda B
    Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Robyn - wood ash. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
  • Linda B
    Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Thanks, everyone for adding to the conversation! And for the great ideas! I'm adding them to the original blog post also as an update! Thanks, again.
  • Gail Salminen
    We have a neighbour that planted a cedar hedge behind our cheyenne privet hedge, which makes the soil too acidic for ours. Fireplace ashes help to neutralize the soil. When we don't have ashes we spread bone meal. The hedge is thriving much better since
  • Jim Pack
    Jim Pack Dublin, TX
    You can also coat your cut potatoes with ashes before you plant the chunks in the spring. It seals the outside of the fresh cut and keeps the potato from rotting when they are planted.
  • Sherry
    Sherry Liberty, KY
    what is the recipe to make soap with ash?
    • Jane
      Jane Kalamazoo, MI
      Sherry Lye is made by filtering water through hardwood ash. There is then a need to know the strength of the solution and I am not sure the test would be very accurate as it
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Robyn Frailey : Wood ash. I'd personally only use coal ash for traction.
  • Twilla R
    Twilla R Rush City, MN
    this is good to know
  • Cherie Calletta
    Cherie Calletta Hammonton, NJ
    I use them to clean out the oven. I use a green scrubby sponge, wet the oven a bit with a spray of water, and scrub down the oven with the wood ashes. It really works, and it's better (and cheaper) than using harsh nasty chemicals or even cleanser. The
  • Sondra A
    Sondra A Janesville, WI
    I remember dusting our chickens with wood ash and using it to melt ice out on the farm, but in town I have just tossed it in the yard, around bushes, etc. I have a friend that used it to make soap. But never heard of using it to clean glass. You provided
  • Penny T
    Penny T Dubuque, IA
    i have been putting it in my compost for years with no problems, but it is wood ash
  • Jimmy Lawson
    Jimmy Lawson Rockville, MD
    Make little boxes and place ashes in those boxes so you can fake somebodies death and collect the insurance money.
  • Diana Easter
    Diana Easter Seffner, FL
    I usually dust my ferns and azaleas with it.
  • Robyn Frailey
    Robyn Frailey Valparaiso, IN
    I don't want to assume anything!
  • Robyn Frailey
    Robyn Frailey Valparaiso, IN
    Are all of these garden and algae tips wood or coal ash?
  • Charlie S
    Charlie S Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
    I always thought that it was good for fertilizing peach trees?
Linda B

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post