Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Awesome Remodels 08.14.14

What to do with fireplace ashes

There are many more uses for fireplace ashes than I ever knew. 1. Compost bin - only a little amongst the organic matter. 2. A light layer around plants can keep slugs away. 3. A tablespoon of ash to 1000 gallons of water for a pond will keep algae down.. 4. As a fertilizer. 5. Cleaning silver.

Can you give more ways to use ashes?

To see more: http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/ashes-from-fireplace.html

120 Comments Displaying 16 of 120 comments | See Previous
  • Vicki Melton
    Vicki Melton Fort Smith, AR
    Mix wood ash in equal parts with flour, then put it on wet plants, so it will stick well. This deters or kills the "worms" that eat the leaves. I learned this trick from on old lady, with amazing gardens. years ago when I lived in OKC, and it works.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Shevon Madden
    Shevon Madden Berea, KY
    we add it to our chickens' dust bins & critter corrals to help keep parasites down
  • Linda Dronen
    Linda Dronen Ferndale, WA
    I've heard it helps if you put ashes on your rhubarb plants. They grow much larger. Thanks for all the ideas, will certainly try them out this winter.
  • Sandy B
    Sandy B Glenmont, OH
    @Kathy M., If I know it won't rain for awhile, I too put them on the ground in their run, but with this cold temps, and blowing snow, I shut my coop up, and put the ashes in a wooden box inside for them to use. I also put them in the garden, and on my
  • Penster47
    Penster47 Verona, MO
    Just be sure that there are not hot spots in your ashes before you dump them on your compost or you'll end up with all ashes and no compost!! lol
  • Mari Dots
    Mari Dots Terrell, TX
    thanks Angel, I'll give that a try! I had this issue in Kentucky and they nearly destroyed 2 acres of land. My dog caught a mole the other day, thats how I know its moles, I was thinking it was armadillos coming in the yard. I'll try the pin wheels.
  • Anna Mellen
    I use some when making lye soap.
  • Beverly Blough
    Beverly Blough Belpre, OH
    R
  • Cherrie Heikes
    Cherrie Heikes Olney Springs, CO
    Since I use wood for heating I have ash all winter to add to my planting area and plenty for my laying hens too. Although I normally allow to sit prior to dumping this year I have carefully been using the hot ash to help get stickers under control along
    • Linda B
      Linda B Trumbull, CT
      Cherrie Heikes Thanks for this tip, Cherrie, and for adding to the discussion about what to do with fireplace ashes.
  • Sarah Sarich
    I usually dump the ashes on the compost without worrying about ratios. It always seems to work out. In the Spring, though, I use the last couple of fires for ash to put on the turnip and parsnip beds instead of compost.
Linda B

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!