How to Remove Rust Stains From Tub

Although this is not our area of expertise, we thought we'd pass on this information that was tested by our employees. They are always talking about their own home repairs and we thought this was an interesting topic and solution.

Rust in the bathroom is usually the result of two related situations. Either iron-containing metals in your bathroom fixtures have begun to rust OR your mineral-rich water supply contains iron particles and has begun to stain areas where water runs. This happens even with a porcelain tub as two of our employees found out.

Bleach and Tilex made the rust stains worse and they sparked another chemical reaction, creating more rust stains on the non-skid surface on the tub floor. Other products that either made things worse or didn't work at all: Lysol, toilet bowl cleansers, Soft Scrub, Goof Off, Awesome, Comet, Simple Green, Mean Green, Magic Eraser and CLR,

However, we found 2 things that really worked: Clorox2 and Hydrogen Peroxide. The Clorox2 worked best and required less scrubbing. Just pour either product on the stain and let it sit. Then scour gently with a damp sponge and rinse. If the stains are really bad you may have to repeat the process twice.

• If this is a recurring problem and the staining is chronic, there may be no way to remove the stain as it may have etched itself into the porcelain.
  • Most staining is not that bad and can be successfully removed if you know how but regular toilet bowl cleaners or powdered chlorine based cleansers will not solve this problem.
  • Kim Walther
    Kim Walther Baltimore, MD
    I have used a cleaner called spar clean got it at store that business usually get there things. You would not believe if you squirt it in toilet leave set there is not much scrubbing. I thought it was a miracle cleaner. Should use gloves it's strong
  • Nina
    nina Indianapolis, IN
    So what product did you use? I read it but it does not state how to remove rust stains.
  • Judy H.
    Judy H. Columbia, MO
    My stains on my tub look like yours but are yellow and due to the very hard water in our community. When you want something to "sit" on the stain, I can find no way to keep it from runnning down the side of the tub when the stain is vertical. Any clues?
  • JeanneSuhr
    JeanneSuhr Port Saint Lucie, FL
    ZUD!!!
  • Lagree Wyndham
    Lagree Wyndham Bonneau, SC
    Iron-Out works great
Great Home Painting