Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How to Remove Rust Stains From Tub

Cleaning 5 days ago
Although this is not our area of expertise, we thought we'd pass on this information that was tested by our employees. They are always talking about their own home repairs and we thought this was an interesting topic and solution.

Rust in the bathroom is usually the result of two related situations. Either iron-containing metals in your bathroom fixtures have begun to rust OR your mineral-rich water supply contains iron particles and has begun to stain areas where water runs. This happens even with a porcelain tub as two of our employees found out.

Bleach and Tilex made the rust stains worse and they sparked another chemical reaction, creating more rust stains on the non-skid surface on the tub floor. Other products that either made things worse or didn't work at all: Lysol, toilet bowl cleansers, Soft Scrub, Goof Off, Awesome, Comet, Simple Green, Mean Green, Magic Eraser and CLR,

However, we found 2 things that really worked: Clorox2 and Hydrogen Peroxide. The Clorox2 worked best and required less scrubbing. Just pour either product on the stain and let it sit. Then scour gently with a damp sponge and rinse. If the stains are really bad you may have to repeat the process twice.

198 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 198 comments | See Previous
  • Betty Wright
    Betty Wright Yadkinville, NC
    I used lysol toilet bowl cleaner on my iron stains in both my showers, sinks and toilets with great success, no scrubbing required, just poured the jell over the stain and let it sit then ran the brush lightly over it and rinsed. No problem since.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
    • Mouse
      mouse Redmond, WA
      Betty Wright HARRAH!! It worked on my kitchen sink!! For 5 years now I've been trying everything from Clorox bleach to Ajax to vinegar and nothing and I mean NOTHING has worked up to now! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    The reason why The Works,and toilet bowl cleaners work is because of muriatic acid. It will also work on hard water build up. The problem with hard water build up is it has started etching and damaging the surface. So hard water builds up quickly.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Vinegar is also a very good hard water cleaner. But it takes time and I don't have that kind of time at others homes. I do take their shower heads off and or tie a plastic bag with vinegar over the shower heads to soak while I am working. It does
  • Rhonda
    Rhonda Beaumont, TX
    I have not used it on glass plates however I use it on alot of things it is made of tiny glass beads in a powder form although alot like comet it is not abrasive like comet it does polish porcelain & will clean tubs, showers, cultured marble & glass
    • Will Luthi
      Will Luthi Tecumseh, MO
      Rhonda What product are you referring to? When we answer a post we all must learn to identify what we are referring.
  • Paula Perry
    Paula Perry Rio Frio, TX
    Hydrogen Peroxide is the about only cleaner I use anymore, it works beautifully on most stains, grease, burnt food etc. I just used it on rust stains on my "black granite" sink, worked like a charm. I sometimes add Baking Soda to make a scrub paste.
  • Kim Liebsch
    Kim Liebsch Chester, MD
    Barkeepers Friend it comes in a container just like comet and works wonderfully, no mixing anything, no real scrubbing and I would not buy anything else . I live in a house that uses well water and is over a hundred years old!
  • Annie
    Annie El Cajon, CA
    I had renters in my house for a few years and moved back in to a rusted sink drain. I'll try this but how do you keep the rust away once it's gone???
  • Elizabeth Poteat
    Elizabeth Poteat Glenwood, NC
    Let's all cheer for THE WORKS. Yes it does smell but put on a mask or tie a handkerchief over your nose and then just watch it work. I found this several years ago and keep a full container all ways. The tablet for the commode water tank is the only
  • Patty Kruggel
    Patty Kruggel Anacortes, WA
    Whink is the best for rust and iron stains. Squirt it on and rinse. Instantly gone. Also, Kleen King works better than Barkeeper's. Polishes copper and stainless steel.
  • Catherine Hallamek
    Catherine Hallamek Forest Lake, MN
    A product called Iron Out works wonders for any rust stain, also can be used on white cloths
  • Des Statler
    Des Statler Warsaw, IN
    I USE SNO-BOL TO I LET BOWL CLEANER,, FOR MY TUB, SHOWERS, AND TOILET'S ,, WORKS GREAT...
  • Lorena Skiba
    Lorena Skiba Saint Johns, MI
    My own solution because I'm am anti chemicals as much as possible, is to get a spray bottle fill it abt 1/3 to 1/2 full of vinegar add enough pure lemon juice to bring it up to abt 2/3 full drop in a few drops of dish detergent and full the rest with
  • Lorena Skiba
    Lorena Skiba Saint Johns, MI
    It's a double acid punch against the rust and soap stains. I use this formula for the counters sinks outside of the toilet. Even on the facing on the stove oven and washed and dryer.
Great Home Painting

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing