How to Remove Rust Stains From Tub

Cleaning 7 days ago
Although this is not our area of expertise, we thought we'd pass on this information that was tested by our employees. They are always talking about their own home repairs and we thought this was an interesting topic and solution.

Rust in the bathroom is usually the result of two related situations. Either iron-containing metals in your bathroom fixtures have begun to rust OR your mineral-rich water supply contains iron particles and has begun to stain areas where water runs. This happens even with a porcelain tub as two of our employees found out.

Bleach and Tilex made the rust stains worse and they sparked another chemical reaction, creating more rust stains on the non-skid surface on the tub floor. Other products that either made things worse or didn't work at all: Lysol, toilet bowl cleansers, Soft Scrub, Goof Off, Awesome, Comet, Simple Green, Mean Green, Magic Eraser and CLR,

However, we found 2 things that really worked: Clorox2 and Hydrogen Peroxide. The Clorox2 worked best and required less scrubbing. Just pour either product on the stain and let it sit. Then scour gently with a damp sponge and rinse. If the stains are really bad you may have to repeat the process twice.

• Kerri Sheldon Goolsby
    Bar Keepers Friend (powder not liquid) and a little elbow grease works amazing too! :)
  • Kaye Miller
    Kaye Miller East Jordan, MI
    There's a liquid product call "Whink" just squirt it on the rusty areas and watch the rust disappear !! Then rinse it's the only thing that I have found that actually works
  • L.M. Barlerin
    L.M. Barlerin New York, NY
    I swear by whink. For toilets, I empty the bowl of water. Then I place a kleenex over the stained area and I squirt the wink onto the kleenex so that it stays in place over the stain. Let it sit for a minute or two, then I just brush it with a toilet
  • Deb Simmering
    Deb Simmering Mansfield, OH
    Where can I get Whink? My entire shower turns orange.
  • Sandy M
    Has anyone ever had a blue ring in their toilet? For years I've had this problem and I've never found anyone else that did. I'd love to know how to get rid of it without having to scrub for days. I don't have strength in my hands for hard scrubbing.
    • Helen Melanson
      Helen Melanson Lancaster, MA
      I get a ring around the water line and I use a sanding sponge, it wont scratch and they are in the paint department. Sprinkle some comet and scrub. I do this every couple months. Good Luck. :-)
  • Karen
    Karen Oakley, MI
    @Sandy, My almost-new toilet had a blue ring for a couple years and tried everything to get rid of it. I made sure not to use any blue product and after a year or so, the ring was gone, just from normal cleaning.
    • Sandy M
      @ Karen I never thought that it could be the products themselves. Maybe the dye used? If whink isn't blue maybe I could just start using that. Everyone seems to be singing it's
  • Nancy Jenkins
    Clorox 2 is it the powder or liquid?Do I use with or by self with hydrogen peroxide? My tub has been stained since before I bought house, old claw tub. Want to clean it up.
  • Karen Kay Babineaux
    I use Cameo Cleanser on everything remarkably wonderful stuff! Pots & pans shine ect... "love it!" Best Cleanser in the world....
  • Tina
    Tina Columbia City, IN
    I agree that Whink is an amazing product. Wear gloves. After a while it makes your hands burn.
  • Nancy Jenkins
    Well I tried the hydrogen peroxide, saw a little bit of change. I will try Clorox 2 next. This has been on claw tub even before I bought the little house.
  • Patti Swartzel
    Patti Swartzel Monclova, OH
    Will Whink work inside a white dishwasher?
  • Getitgirl Michigan
    Getitgirl Michigan White Lake, MI
    I've cleaned houses for a living. I either use Whink or Barkeepers Friend.
  • Helen Melanson
    Helen Melanson Lancaster, MA
    I've never heard of Whink, I will have to get it!
  • Des Statler
    Des Statler Warsaw, IN
    I use SnO BOL, toilet bowl cleaner, for all rust problems, ,sinks , tubs, shower, toilet, , it's non toxic , not hard on your hands, , works great. ..
  • Gloria Ross
    Gloria Ross Shell Knob, MO
    Whink sounds great. I have been using The Works on toilet bowls. Works great too. Will have to try whink. Thanks for sharing.
Great Home Painting