How to Store Paint

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
If you have leftover paint after a project, don't throw it out. Save it in case you need it in the future for touch-ups. It is important to store it properly so it will be useable down the road when you need it. Here is how to store paint:

• The number one consideration when storing paint is to make sure the can is completely sealed to keep air out so the paint does not dry up.
  • Do not use a screwdriver to open the can if you expect to have leftover paint. A screwdriver can also distort the lid, preventing a good closure.
  • Elaine Simmons
    Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    I have found if I put some plastic wrap on it before putting on the lid, it helps immensely!
  • Great Home Painting
    Great Home Painting Morrisville, PA
    Thanks for the great tip Elaine! The plastic wrap creates an additional seal.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Norway
    Great tip, i also use. but also i've learnd from my father to always put the can upside down, then the paint will last for years.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Norway
    paint will seal the can, but be sure you have a tight lid :)
  • Valerie
    Valerie South Africa
    Some useful tips here. I would also suggest that, when marking the tin with the date etc, a line is also drawn indicating the amount of paint which is still left in the tin. Do you have any tips on how best to decant paint from a larger tin, preferably
    • Valerie
      Valerie South Africa
      Jan B. Hi Jan Thank you for your suggestion regarding the spouts. I will see if I can find something similar locally. I agree, Hometalk is fantastic for sharing ideas!
Great Home Painting

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post