How to Store Paint

04.13.15
If you have leftover paint after a project, don't throw it out. Save it in case you need it in the future for touch-ups. It is important to store it properly so it will be useable down the road when you need it. Here is how to store paint:

http://greathomepainting.com/Home-Improvemen...

• Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Thanks for these tips. I have never thought about some of these tips. I usually use a screwdriver to open my paint cans, and don't think about it damaging the lid.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    All very good tips. I do use most of them, but learned a few things too. Thanks.
  • Ron P
    I have used these steps for many many years.

1.) When you first open a new can of paint clean the paint off of the underside of the lid with the brush you will be using

• Elaine Simmons
    Elaine Simmons Florence, AZ
    I have found if I put some plastic wrap on it before putting on the lid, it helps immensely!
  • Great Home Painting
    Great Home Painting Morrisville, PA
    Thanks for the great tip Elaine! The plastic wrap creates an additional seal.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Norway
    Great tip, i also use. but also i've learnd from my father to always put the can upside down, then the paint will last for years.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Norway
    paint will seal the can, but be sure you have a tight lid :)
  • Valerie
    Valerie South Africa
    Some useful tips here. I would also suggest that, when marking the tin with the date etc, a line is also drawn indicating the amount of paint which is still left in the tin. Do you have any tips on how best to decant paint from a larger tin, preferably
    • Jan B.
      Jan B. Crossville, TN
      Valerie Lowes sells a lid that has a collapseable spout made right in the lid. Put this new lid on paint can, you pull up small ring,now you have a spout, take off spout lid, pour,
    • Valerie
      Valerie South Africa
      Jan B. Hi Jan Thank you for your suggestion regarding the spouts. I will see if I can find something similar locally. I agree, Hometalk is fantastic for sharing ideas!
Great Home Painting