Natural Flagstone Patio & Fire Pit

Garden Inspiration 6 days ago
The client requested a flagstone circular patio with a fire pit that would blend with the natural surroundings. We installed irregular blue flagstone slabs over a compacted stone base, using Gator Dust in
  • DeFranco Landcaping, Inc.
    Really like the stones used on the firepit. Setting the fire pit into the ground has given it a very natural look.
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    It looks amazing! Can you elaborate on the base? Crushed rock? Sand?
  • Willow Gates Landscaping
    Ethan, here is the standard construction method for either a natural stone or interlocking concrete paver patio. First we excavate 9" below the finished elevation (this can vary slightly depending on the height of the paving materials). After the site is
  • Kathy
    Kathy Box Springs, GA
    I have made one similar with flagstone with no firepit. However, I do not know what "gator dust" is. I use sand and a little portland concrete in between the flagstone.
  • Willow Gates Landscaping
    Gator Dust is manufactured by Allied. It is a mixture of sand and small bits of gravel, with polymers for a binder. It is swept across the patio, and compacted into the joints. It is compacted by using plate tamper or a dead blow on the flagstone; the
  • At The Picket Fence
    At The Picket Fence Florence, KY
    Oh I just love that! So beautiful!
  • Sharon @ mrs. hines class
    this is exactly what I plan to do in my backyard this year. I'm going to clip this for inspiration!
  • Kathy
    Kathy Box Springs, GA
    My area is shady. What else would you suggest? It doesn't need to be perfect as we live in the country and like natural style.
  • Willow Gates Landscaping
    Kathy, if you want to use Gator Dust in a shady area, I would use clean gravel for the setting bed (#8 or #9 stone, which will be 3/8" or less). This will provide good drainage, and the Gator Dust should be fine. Otherwise, I would use stone dust or pea
  • Cathe
    Cathe San Antonio, TX
    Love!
  • Mary C
    Mary C Englewood, OH
    I really like the lighted path the lights look like little BELLS ! the patio is nice too!
    • Willow Gates Landscaping
      Mary C the path lights are Focus PL-02, and I think the color is Antique Verde. The patio has gotten lots of positive reviews. :) It just fits perfectly into their back yard.
  • Aangie.fowler
    What is the diameter for the area? I have used this for an example for mine and have measured off what I think is enough room, but not sure.
  • Willow Gates Landscaping
    It's 18'not diameter. I believe the fire pit is about 5' diameter.
  • Bonnie Lewenza
    I really like the stone used for the fire pit, I wish that we could have a fire pit but they are against the law here. Just wondering though late last summer I noticed that they came out with special fire logs which are environmentally friendly has
Willow Gates Landscaping