Install your own countertop

05.21.15
In an effort to update our kitchen, we tackle an area each year. So far we have installed new flooring, given it a fresh coat of wall paint and re-painted the cabinets(they will be replaced eventually.) I ran across this video recently and we are considering trying to replace the countertop this year. As you can see it is quite knicked up, stained and is separating. Wish us luck!

Maybe it will inspire you to brave something new in your own kitchen or bathroom this year.

http://hometipster.com/how-to-replace-a-kit...

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    If the house is old, you might want to makesomething like a butcher block work station. I love real butcher block. I have seen it put in natural and sealed and also stained different colors...sort of a wash (saw it done in blue and in green...stunning!).
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Jeanette S what a great idea! I do my cutting in that corner since the sink is to the right and the stove to the left. Thank-you for mentioning it, and I love my walls too. :)
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    See, if you make it vastly different, you can adjust the back wall with heavy sanding or zig saw. Fit around the back wall before you cut to size. In fact, if you put small legs on this, you can have it sit on top of your existing counter, just make it
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Jeanette S sure sounds like you have done this before...I can't quite picture it, but maybe DH will know what you mean. Thanks again.
  • Lori
    Lori Canada
    Dee, I just watched the video and all was well till they put that bar in to cover the crack. If that's ok with you then have at it but it didn't look nice to me. You have done so much yourself, maybe think about getting someone skilled to do this part.
    • Dee W
      Dee W Rock Creek, OH
      Lori so far we haven't done anything which tells me that DH isn't all that confident he can do it but if he is willing to give it a go or changes his mind I'll back him up
Dee W