Hometalk.com

Install your own countertop

In an effort to update our kitchen, we tackle an area each year. So far we have installed new flooring, given it a fresh coat of wall paint and re-painted the cabinets(they will be replaced eventually.) I ran across this video recently and we are considering trying to replace the countertop this year. As you can see it is quite knicked up, stained and is separating. Wish us luck!

Maybe it will inspire you to brave something new in your own kitchen or bathroom this year.

http://hometipster.com/how-to-replace-a-kit...

6 Comments Displaying 6 of 6 comments
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I love Formica, but hate these corners! We have a 14' long counter top and we have a seam in it too. Before I ever bought something seamless, I would have to cut some cardboard to size and then see if it can be brought into the house! Clearance would be
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Thanks Jeanette S ! The house is old, nothing is square and the wall juts out in the corner because it covers the water pipes to the bathroom above. We are expecting it to be a challenge, but what ever we do will be better than what we have.
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    If the house is old, you might want to makesomething like a butcher block work station. I love real butcher block. I have seen it put in natural and sealed and also stained different colors...sort of a wash (saw it done in blue and in green...stunning!).
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Jeanette S what a great idea! I do my cutting in that corner since the sink is to the right and the stove to the left. Thank-you for mentioning it, and I love my walls too. :)
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    See, if you make it vastly different, you can adjust the back wall with heavy sanding or zig saw. Fit around the back wall before you cut to size. In fact, if you put small legs on this, you can have it sit on top of your existing counter, just make it
  • Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Jeanette S sure sounds like you have done this before...I can't quite picture it, but maybe DH will know what you mean. Thanks again.
  • Likes

Serena Karen Tanya Graham Lyndie C