Hometalk.com

08.31.13

Camellias in January

This is the first year that this plant is really nice. Every year I had lots of buds but they fell off the plant.

I read about diseases/bugs on Hometalk and sprayed the plants even though they had many buds & it worked. I love Hometalk.

14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Julie Oakwood, TX
    I am fairly new to Hometalk, so could you please share what you sprayed your camellias with? Thanks.
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Julie, let me tell you the symptoms - the underside of the leaves turned black although there was white & black on top. We used NEEM but you have to be sure to spray the entire plant & both sides of the leaves. Neem is a natural alternative to synthetic
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    yahy Sherrie S ! Beautiful !
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Yay, Sherrie! Your camellias are beautiful. Well done! Douglas Hunt check it out :)
  • Your camelias are gorgeous. I'm wanting to plant some this year.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Congratulations, Sherrie! Your patience (and persistance) has been rewarded. Sadly, I cannot grow camellias at the beach. My soil is much to alkaline for them.
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Douglas I know you have mentioned different kinds of camellias - could you tell me which type I have? Thank y'all for the nice comments.
  • Terri J York, PA
    Just beautiful...
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Sherrie, two types of camellias are seen most often in Florida, the sasanquas and the japonicas. Sasanquas generally do better in Central Florida because they are earlier bloomers and japonicas can often get blasted by heat for us. I'm not enough of a
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Thank you Douglas. I will see if I can tell the difference & if I can I will tell you which one it is.
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Well this is not easy but I think this is a Sasanqua Bonanza Camellia.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    It's pretty and it's healthy, Sherrie, so that's what really matters.
  • Gen Clinton, TN
    I have been wondering what a Camellia look like, as I always see it on the top of the list on fertilizer boxes. They are beautiful! Do they climb? I want to try this.
  • Sherrie S Debary, FL
    No they do not climb. I also have white ones so I'm sure there are other color variations.