Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
10.30.11

Will it hurt to prune back knockout roses a bit, at this time of year?

10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Dan's of Central Florida, Inc.
    Corinne, you should be fine to prune them back now. For southern/warmer climates, late fall to early winter is the right time.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Donna Dixson
    Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    I cut mine back about two week ago to about a foot tall, as they had suffered from the summer heat and looking pretty pitiful. They are already leafed and heavy budded back out. I should get a great bloom out of them before the cold weather.
  • Harold M
    Harold M Franklin, NC
    I trim mine way back after the first frost. they come back beautifully in the spring
  • Erica Glasener
    Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    I would not prune them back hard now, but yes just to tidy them up. My mother-in-law who lives in AL lost some of hers because a worker cut them back hard (they were only about 1' tall.
  • Corinne B
    Corinne B Birmingham, AL
    Thanks all! They were planted about 6 months ago in a spot that is sunny in the am and shady in pm and I think are still trying to get used to the spot they were planted in. They bloomed nicely, lost a lot of foliage - and have lots of buds - I trimmed
  • Karen G
    Karen G Palm Bay, FL
    Even my 6 year old knockouts suffer in the summer heat...pruned them about 3 weeks ago and they are leafing out, looking great. I topdress the bed with compost too. With our sandy soil, nutrients leach out fast. Also sprayed on Maxicrop.
  • Garden Rebel / Sims Landscaping, Co.
    I have over 400 Knock Out Roses planted throughout the garden. As long as you prune to shape and are not too agressive then you will be fine. Be sure to fertilize with rose fertilizer and bone meal and epsom salts. As long as they are fed and watered in
  • Mike and Anne
    Mike and Anne Raleigh, NC
    In the Raleigh we have already started pruning knockout roses, so you should be fine. By the way we are getting reports of rose rosette disease in knockout roses in North Carolina. Not a good sign for this popular variety.
  • Mike and Anne
    Mike and Anne Raleigh, NC
    Knock Outs get pruned back after the first hard freeze - if you are going to prune them. Leave the plants at at least 2 feet in height. They do not have to be cut back but they can get much larger than many people realize. Most gardeners in our area are
  • Carole
    Carole Douglasville, GA
    Thanks all, I thought the proper time to prune Knock Out Roses was after the first boolms of spring. Also I appreciate the infor on leaving them about 2 feet high. I only have about 6 but will prune mine today
Corinne B

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!