Hometalk.com

Garden {Nature} 03.08.14

Thistle Bird Feeder

I saw a bird feeder made from a soda bottle and I wanted to make one also. I already have a bird feeder for sunflower seeds. I wanted a thistle feeder to try to attract the American Goldfinch which is so pretty at this time of year-bright yellow!

I took a bottle and melted holes in it for a dowel to go through. Then I melted a tiny hole just above the dowel for the birds to get the seeds out of. Please don't melt the bottle if you make this. Drill the holes. It's safer. I didn't have hubster or son to drill - "I don't have time now". So I was left to my own devices to figure it out. Drilling is better.

This was one really easy craft. Hopefully, the Goldfinches will find the thistle feeders soon. Hope everyone enjoyed this. i wish I had a picture of a bird on the feeder!

Best wishes, Linda

To see more: http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/soda-bottle-thistle-feeder.html

25 Comments Displaying 15 of 25 comments | See Previous
  • Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Thanks, everyone, for joining the conversation. Joyce, I think the hole is too large also. I made one of them with a slightly smaller hole. We'll see. The birds haven't found the feeders yet. Can't wait.
  • Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Michelle, I didn't know that finches like to feed hanging upside down. Thanks for the tip!! The next one with have the smaller holes UNDER the dowel.
  • Chris J Grand Rapids, MI
    They also keep the squirrels out of the feeders too. Greedy things that they are.
  • Pat Shaw Ozark, AL
    love the ideal and the comment about recycling and toss into the recycle bin after using. Also maybe more than one position for the dowel and holes to reach all levels of seed....waste not want not :) ..thanks for sharing a great ideal !
  • Pat Moss West Richland, WA
    Check out this crazy finch with 1 foot on each of the feeder sacks.
  • Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Yes, Pat, after I made these two feeders I noticed that the stick (and the holes) could have been lower down. I won't have to refill them so often either. Thanks for joining in the conversation!!
  • Debbi C Prattville, AL
    You can go to the store and measure the distance from the perch to the holes and even the hole size they use for the finch feeders. You also may be able to find this info online. Also, the dowel size is important, neither too small or too large diameters
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Pat, that's an awesome snapshot of the bird feeding.
  • Lorraine M Shepherdsville, KY
    Boy, would my squirrel population love this.
  • great idea - the birds must be flocking to your yard!
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    I also love finches! They will come! I am ALWAYS amazed at how they seem to know a feeder is up. Sometimes it is months in between putting a feeder up, and as soon as I do, within days the word is out! It is true they like to feed upside down, but they
  • Barbara Foster Two Rivers, WI
    i had socks, and the squirrels just tore them apart. We now have a cage type that is sturdier. I like this idea too. Do squirrels chew plastic?
  • Patty A New Milford, CT
    Love this idea, but have a question. 3 months ago I hung a thistle feeder(mesh sleeve kind of thing) above my kitchen window. All the other birds have been feeding at the table under this for years but I wanted to attract the finches since the only time
  • Linda B I love this idea! Hometalk has asked me curate a clip board of projects that used dowels and I'd love to feature you bird feeder!
  • Amy Angleton, TX
    This is awesome! Do you have problems with squirrels trying to get at this feeder? I bet not since the holes are so small.