Thistle Bird Feeder

Birds and blooms 06.01.15
I saw a bird feeder made from a soda bottle and I wanted to make one also. I already have a bird feeder for sunflower seeds. I wanted a thistle feeder to try to attract the American Goldfinch which is so pretty at this time of year-bright yellow!

I took a bottle and melted holes in it for a dowel to go through. Then I melted a tiny hole just above the dowel for the birds to get the seeds out of. Please don't melt the bottle if you make this. Drill the holes. It's safer. I didn't have hubster or son to drill - "I don't have time now". So I was left to my own devices to figure it out. Drilling is better.

This was one really easy craft. Hopefully, the Goldfinches will find the thistle feeders soon. Hope everyone enjoyed this. i wish I had a picture of a bird on the feeder!

Best wishes, Linda

• A small Coke bottle turned into a thistle feeder.
  • A long skinny bottle is perfect. See the holes?
  • See the dowel? It goes straight through the bottle.

To see more: http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/soda-bottle-thistle-feeder.html

• Bernice H
    Bernice H New York, NY
    I also love finches! They will come! I am ALWAYS amazed at how they seem to know a feeder is up. Sometimes it is months in between putting a feeder up, and as soon as I do, within days the word is out! It is true they like to feed upside down, but they
  • Barbara Foster
    Barbara Foster Two Rivers, WI
    i had socks, and the squirrels just tore them apart. We now have a cage type that is sturdier. I like this idea too. Do squirrels chew plastic?
  • Patty A
    Patty A New Milford, CT
    Love this idea, but have a question. 3 months ago I hung a thistle feeder(mesh sleeve kind of thing) above my kitchen window. All the other birds have been feeding at the table under this for years but I wanted to attract the finches since the only time
  • Melissa @ Two It Yourself
    Linda B I love this idea! Hometalk has asked me curate a clip board of projects that used dowels and I'd love to feature you bird feeder!
  • Amy
    Amy Angleton, TX
    This is awesome! Do you have problems with squirrels trying to get at this feeder? I bet not since the holes are so small.
Linda B