Hometalk.com

09.29.13

These are before and after pictures of my house.

It was all gray. We painted the trim Navajo White. It made some difference, maybe next year we can afford to lighten the shakes up a bit. My question is now about landscaping. We have lots of deer. What would you do between the two windows on the right to add height and interest?
12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Donna McCrummen Bernardsville, NJ
    We also put the fence in recently and are working on getting rid of landscape stones. And, you guessed it - the dreaded plastic!
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    wow Donna that is amazingly better! It looks like you have some shade in there. How much sunlight do you get?
  • Donna McCrummen Bernardsville, NJ
    Not much sun. Mostly morning dappled. Tons of trees.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Most of the evergreens I know that will take shade are also deer magnets. I would consider a white-blooming understory tree like a shadblow (Amelanchier canadensis), so named because it blooms in early spring when the shad are running. You could also try
  • Donna McCrummen Bernardsville, NJ
    @Douglas - I was thinking evergreen like Holly (boring) so I don't have yet another shed tree in winter but this Amelanchier Canadensis is gorgeous.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    @Donna: If they're hungry, deer will definitely eat holly, and when they do it's not pretty. If you pulled out the foundation planting wide enough to include the amelanchier, you could including low evergreens, which would help highlight the tree's
  • Donna McCrummen Bernardsville, NJ
    Great idea Douglas. Now, if only I could envision it - plan it and plant it. Are there any landscape planning softwares available?
  • I live where there are a lot of deer and they love my hostas. I put cheap bars of soap by each plant and they stay away. It really does work. I have had the bar of soap last for over 2 years.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    @Donna: I lay out the borders of beds using a garden hose warmed in the sun and draw my plans on graph paper. So I'm a luddite when it comes to these things, but "Garden Planner" gets a good review from CNET, and you can try it out for free for 15 days.
  • Donna Gill Colestock Charleston, SC
    Why are you taking out the stones? You could make a lovely garden around them! Where is the plastic. I must be missing it.
  • Irie Dremz Madison, TN
    donna i love these colors together. it's just what i've been wanting for our cottage style house. can you give me the name/mfg. of the gray? it's perfect.
  • Here’s a great website that you mightlike to look into. It has plenty moreplants that are Deer Resistant.

http://plantskydd.com/deer-resistant-plants....

• Likes

Wendy Hope Anne Jorgensen