Hometalk.com

ANTIQUES 04.08.14

My Latest Insulator Coat Rack ...(the shabby version)

I thought I would make some new insulator coat racks to sell, and therefore decided to stick with the neutral insulators. I crackled painted and scraped the paint before drying to get a heavily distressed look on the baseboard before adding the clear insulators. I'm liking the finished product!

To see more: http://www.creativelylivingblog.com/2013/02/the-shabby-insulator-coat-rack.html

30 Comments Displaying 15 of 30 comments | See Previous
  • Charlie M Easton, PA
    I actually collect glass telegraph, telephone and power insulators. I don't mind seeing the common ones used for craft projects,,, but I have seen ppl ruin rare and valuable insulators
  • Charlie M Easton, PA
    Thought I'd share a photo,, I have 1000's of insulators, here is just a few of the same style in a rainbow of colors.
    • Kathryn Botard Sheridan, TX
      Charlie M , I envy your collection. I long to own a cobalt blue or yellow insulator. Real ones, not colored. I have a purple insulator and a telegraph insulator. Those are my valuable ones. My favorite is a bubbly green insulator.
    • Charlie M Easton, PA
      Kathryn Botard Thank you Kat. The blue on the top shelf is cobalt, the one bottom right is peacock blue. I have been collecting off and on since the early 70's... and always on the look out
  • Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Those are beautiful Charlie M ! Wow! I was hoping there would be some valuable ones in the pile on my parent's farm.... unfortunately, there weren't. lol ....so now they are a coat rack. :) I have never seen them in the colors you have!
  • Charlie M Easton, PA
    Thank you ! I have been collecting since the early 70's. Those are just a few of many ! and only a small selection of colors that can be found in that style. Colors vary between manufactures and styles greatly... what still amazes me is that some
  • Becky Blair, NE
    One of our thrift stores have them often. I bought one awhile ago to use as a pedestal for a wooden bowl, but I might have to buy more next time I go now that I seen this thread.
  • Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Becky , that is a great idea! There are so many ways to use them, but finding new ideas for them is hard. Thanks for sharing!
  • Becky Blair, NE
    I'm glad you liked my idea Katie. I love Hometalk for bringing like minded creative people together. I never would have thought to use them as pegs to hang coats. I really like that and if I can find more for a reasonable price I'll be making one,
  • Jennifer Lukacz Gorman, TX
    Love it
  • Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Thanks Jennifer Lukacz !
  • Colleen Fargo, ND
    My father-in-law worked as a telephone linesman years ago. I'm sure many who worked on the lines would like this.
  • Kathryn Botard Sheridan, TX
    Here are my 4 favorites. Looks like I need to clean up a little. Time to try out the orbital sander on this bookcase
  • Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Good luck Kathryn Botard. I love tha pretty blue one!
  • Penny S Littleton, CO
    What a great idea for the insulators that aren't real valuable - our son has collected a few since he was young so maybe I can check his stash!! :)