My Latest Insulator Coat Rack ...(the shabby version)

diy 01.17.16
I thought I would make some new insulator coat racks to sell, and therefore decided to stick with the neutral insulators. I crackled painted and scraped the paint before drying to get a heavily distressed look on the baseboard before adding the clear insulators. I'm liking the finished product!

To see more: http://www.creativelylivingblog.com/2013/02/the-shabby-insulator-coat-rack.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Zzzz...
    Zzzz... Albert, OK
    One of our thrift stores have them often. I bought one awhile ago to use as a pedestal for a wooden bowl, but I might have to buy more next time I go now that I seen this thread.
  • Charlie M
    Charlie M Easton, PA
    Thank you ! I have been collecting since the early 70's. Those are just a few of many ! and only a small selection of colors that can be found in that style. Colors vary between manufactures and styles greatly... what still amazes me is that some
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Those are beautiful Charlie M ! Wow! I was hoping there would be some valuable ones in the pile on my parent's farm.... unfortunately, there weren't. lol ....so now they are a coat rack. :) I have never seen them in the colors you have!
  • Charlie M
    Charlie M Easton, PA
    Thought I'd share a photo,, I have 1000's of insulators, here is just a few of the same style in a rainbow of colors.
    • Charlie M
      Charlie M Easton, PA
      Kathryn Botard Thank you Kat. The blue on the top shelf is cobalt, the one bottom right is peacock blue. I have been collecting off and on since the early 70's... and always on
  • Charlie M
    Charlie M Easton, PA
    I actually collect glass telegraph, telephone and power insulators. I don't mind seeing the common ones used for craft projects,,, but I have seen ppl ruin rare and valuable insulators
  • Building Moxie
    Building Moxie Baltimore, MD
    This is awesome. I inherited a handful of these and never thought to do anything other than displaying them decoratively. Well done Creatively Living ... gonna share. ~jb
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    That would be fun Kelly S ! My kids would love it!
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Paint then green and add little dots fo different colors for mini Christmas trees. I'll dig up an old picture of the sand box/garden and I'll post it this weekend .
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Thanks Donna! The love of junk, right? :)
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    LOVE. It! Such a cool look, the glass really makes you take a 2nd look!
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Kelly S , I love hearing about what people have done with insulators! We have some big brown ones too. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    My grandpa work in a porcelain factory where they made the big brown ones. Grandma used the reject ones he brought home to edge her flower garden and grandkids sand box.These always bring back memories. She used to put the glas ones in boiling water and
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    juNxtaposition , you can view the entire tutorial in the link above, but basically, you cut a dowel to fit in the insulator, secure it to the baseboard with a screw and then also use Liquid Nails.
  • Jolen Bell
    Jolen Bell Calumet, OK
    Thanks!
  • JuNxtaposition
    juNxtaposition Pittsburgh, PA
    great look !!! also was wondering how you attached them !!! love the neutral color !
Creatively Living