My Latest Insulator Coat Rack ...(the shabby version)

My Future DIY 5 days ago
I thought I would make some new insulator coat racks to sell, and therefore decided to stick with the neutral insulators. I crackled painted and scraped the paint before drying to get a heavily distressed look on the baseboard before adding the clear insulators. I'm liking the finished product!

To see more: http://www.creativelylivingblog.com/2013/02/the-shabby-insulator-coat-rack.html

• Charlie M
    Charlie M Easton, PA
    Thought I'd share a photo,, I have 1000's of insulators, here is just a few of the same style in a rainbow of colors.
    • Kathryn Botard
      Kathryn Botard Sheridan, TX
      Charlie M , I envy your collection. I long to own a cobalt blue or yellow insulator. Real ones, not colored. I have a purple insulator and a telegraph insulator. Those are my valuable ones. My favorite is a bubbly green insulator.
    • Charlie M
      Charlie M Easton, PA
      Kathryn Botard Thank you Kat. The blue on the top shelf is cobalt, the one bottom right is peacock blue. I have been collecting off and on since the early 70's... and always on
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Those are beautiful Charlie M ! Wow! I was hoping there would be some valuable ones in the pile on my parent's farm.... unfortunately, there weren't. lol ....so now they are a coat rack. :) I have never seen them in the colors you have!
  • Charlie M
    Charlie M Easton, PA
    Thank you ! I have been collecting since the early 70's. Those are just a few of many ! and only a small selection of colors that can be found in that style. Colors vary between manufactures and styles greatly... what still amazes me is that some
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    One of our thrift stores have them often. I bought one awhile ago to use as a pedestal for a wooden bowl, but I might have to buy more next time I go now that I seen this thread.
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Becky , that is a great idea! There are so many ways to use them, but finding new ideas for them is hard. Thanks for sharing!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I'm glad you liked my idea Katie. I love Hometalk for bringing like minded creative people together. I never would have thought to use them as pegs to hang coats. I really like that and if I can find more for a reasonable price I'll be making one,
  • Jennifer Lukacz
    Jennifer Lukacz Gorman, TX
    Love it
  • Colleen
    Colleen Fargo, ND
    My father-in-law worked as a telephone linesman years ago. I'm sure many who worked on the lines would like this.
  • Kathryn Botard
    Kathryn Botard Sheridan, TX
    Here are my 4 favorites. Looks like I need to clean up a little. Time to try out the orbital sander on this bookcase
  • Creatively Living
    Creatively Living Richland, WA
    Good luck Kathryn Botard. I love tha pretty blue one!
  • Penny S
    Penny S Littleton, CO
    What a great idea for the insulators that aren't real valuable - our son has collected a few since he was young so maybe I can check his stash!! :)
  • Amy Clark
    Amy Clark Woodward, IA
    Depends on what kind they are. The colored ones that Charlie has are gorgeous and pretty pricey, I imagine. We run across the green/blue and clear all the time, in fact, just got rid of about 4 5 gal buckets of them! Some parts of the country don't see
  • Pris Weathers
    Pris Weathers Mabelvale, AR
    I put tea lights in some of mine and randomly turn them on for display. Seeing your coat racks makes me want to make some door kickers to keep my doors from hitting the walls.
  • Yvette
    Yvette Spring Hill, TN
    How do you put the insulators on the wood ?
    • Creatively Living
      Creatively Living Richland, WA
      Yvette The first time, I screwed in dowls and used lots of liquid nails glue. The second time, I was smarter adn used the huge wooden dowl screws that were on the posts they were on
Creatively Living