Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Water Your Garden, Save Money and Live Green with a Rain Barrel!

We all need to water our lawns and gardens sometimes to keep them green and healthy, especially during the dry summer we're experiencing this year. But if you just reach for the garden hose when your lawn and garden are thirsty, you're spending more on your water bill than you need to. Many of your neighbors use rain barrels as an inexpensive, environmentally-friendly way to keep their plants healthy. Read on to find out how to try a rain barrel in your garden--it's easier than you think!

Building Your Rain Barrel

1. Bring your barrel home and flush it out thoroughly with clean water.

2. Drill a hole on the side of the barrel, 1 to 2 inches below the top.

3. Flip the barrel over, and drill a hole on the side of the barrel, near the bottom. Drill a hole that is the same diameter as your spigot, or a slightly smaller diameter.

4. Attach your spigot to the bottom hole on your rain barrel. Better Homes and Gardens has easy instructions for attaching and sealing

Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://blog.wetandforget.com/blog/bid/153274/Water-Your-Garden-Save-Money-and-Live-Green-with-a-Rain-Barrel

8 Comments Displaying 8 of 8 comments
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    A great post. We use rainbarrels also that as you said were unused and free from a food factory. I like the idea of tying more than one together for maximum rain catching, and will have to look into that further.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Joyce B
    Joyce B Redgranite, WI
    well tell us how you did that i would love to do that
  • Becky J
    Becky J Troy, IL
    I used a rain barrel last summer and it was fun using free water instead of the water I have to spend $$ on. The only problem I had was mine was white and it had to be cleaned out due to algae once or twice. Also the flow of water into the watering can
  • Dee W
    Dee W Rock Creek, OH
    Becky J painting it will help for sure. I had to do that with the one in sun, although you can use "mosquito dunks" or a small amount of bleach in your barrel without hurting your plants or
  • Becky J
    Becky J Troy, IL
    Dee W, it has a spigot and it sits up on cinder blocks. I think maybe the spigot is too small in diameter. I didn't make it, my coworker's husband did. I do have a 2nd barrel, which I may hook up this year, not sure yet.
  • Louisa H
    Louisa H Tacoma, WA
    vinegar will be better then bleach or u can use Mrs. wright's blueing, a drop or two will do the same thing, and doesn't harm the plants. There is actually nothing wrong for the water to have algae in it, as it is added protein for the plants you know.
  • Christine Myers
    Christine Myers Hudson, NY
    can you use this to get drinking water too and how would you make it safe to drink??
  • Julie Moyna
    Julie Moyna Santa Clarita, CA
    I love that! Too bad I'm in Cali and we haven't had any rain! It's on my list though! Thank you!
Wet & Forget

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!