Hometalk.com

DECORATIVE IDEAS 03.05.14

Making a Fancy Boxed Wine Holder

The only problem with boxed wine is that it comes in an ugly cardboard box. The wine is great, but Jocie usually pours the wine into a carafe when we have guest over. Instead, I made her a snazzy boxed wine holder from pallet wood.

I used my table saw a lot for this project, ripping the pallet boards square and to length. I also created thin strips for braces to glue the boards together. The most difficult step was using a dado stack to create a tongue-and-groove so the backside could slide on and off.

Jocie stenciled that beautiful fleur de lis, and she applied a wax finish to seal the wood. I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and I know we'll be showing it off next chance we get.

#DIY #pallets #wine

Time: 6 Hours Cost: $5 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-make-classy-boxed-wine-holder/

11 Comments Displaying 11 of 11 comments
  • Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    Christmas gifts with a box of wine enclosed, I better start making them soon :)
  • Lisa M Atlanta, GA
    Awesome idea and well executed! I'd buy one :-)
  • Such a great idea!! My husband always makes fun of my boxed wine i hide around the corner from my guests...now I will just have to have him make me one of these!!
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Beautiful. You set the bar high on this one! :)
  • Linda S Cunningham, TN
    what a great idea, and would look great on any kitchen counter. bota box is a good little box wine.
  • Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC
    You just made my day (as I sit here drinking my glass of wine from my Bota Box)! This is awesome....
  • Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Haha Storywood Designs! Glad you like it.
  • Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. We've been putting ours to "good" use, and so far it's been a big hit.
  • Tammy Hoffman Yellville, AR
    How do you clean the pallets. I know most all pallets are sprayed with many different chemicals depending what was stored or shipped. Also many pallets are in areas with bugs and critters that leave deposits.
  • Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Tammy Hoffman First, we make sure to use heat-treated (HT) pallets rather than ones that have been treated with chemicals. Sanding removes anything on the surface, and waxing the holder
  • Rhonda Kueck Beaumont, TX
    I am a blogger and I am doing a Mardi Gras/Fluer de lis round up on my blog on Thursday. Let me know if you have a project you would like to be included. I will link all pics either to a blog or etsy shop. Rhonda