Making a Fancy Boxed Wine Holder

yes please 03.10.15
The only problem with boxed wine is that it comes in an ugly cardboard box. The wine is great, but Jocie usually pours the wine into a carafe when we have guest over. Instead, I made her a snazzy boxed wine holder from pallet wood.

I used my table saw a lot for this project, ripping the pallet boards square and to length. I also created thin strips for braces to glue the boards together. The most difficult step was using a dado stack to create a tongue-and-groove so the backside could slide on and off.

Jocie stenciled that beautiful fleur de lis, and she applied a wax finish to seal the wood. I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and I know we'll be showing it off next chance we get.

#DIY #pallets #wine

Time: 6 Hours Cost: $5 Difficulty: Moderate

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-make-classy-boxed-wine-holder/

• Mary Insana
    Mary Insana Pittsburgh, PA
    Christmas gifts with a box of wine enclosed, I better start making them soon :)
  • Lisa M
    Lisa M Atlanta, GA
    Awesome idea and well executed! I'd buy one :-)
  • Sarah @ Just The Bee's Knees
    Such a great idea!! My husband always makes fun of my boxed wine i hide around the corner from my guests...now I will just have to have him make me one of these!!
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Beautiful. You set the bar high on this one! :)
  • Linda S
    Linda S Cunningham, TN
    what a great idea, and would look great on any kitchen counter. bota box is a good little box wine.
  • Storywood Designs
    Storywood Designs Raleigh, NC
    You just made my day (as I sit here drinking my glass of wine from my Bota Box)! This is awesome....
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Haha Storywood Designs! Glad you like it.
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. We've been putting ours to "good" use, and so far it's been a big hit.
  • Tammy Hoffman
    Tammy Hoffman Yellville, AR
    How do you clean the pallets. I know most all pallets are sprayed with many different chemicals depending what was stored or shipped. Also many pallets are in areas with bugs and critters that leave deposits.
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Tammy Hoffman First, we make sure to use heat-treated (HT) pallets rather than ones that have been treated with chemicals. Sanding removes anything on the surface, and waxing
  • Rhonda Kueck
    Rhonda Kueck Beaumont, TX
    I am a blogger and I am doing a Mardi Gras/Fluer de lis round up on my blog on Thursday. Let me know if you have a project you would like to be included. I will link all pics either to a blog or etsy shop. Rhonda
Ethan@OPC