Making a Fancy Boxed Wine Holder

For our Big Day 07.23.15
The only problem with boxed wine is that it comes in an ugly cardboard box. The wine is great, but Jocie usually pours the wine into a carafe when we have guest over. Instead, I made her a snazzy boxed wine holder from pallet wood.

I used my table saw a lot for this project, ripping the pallet boards square and to length. I also created thin strips for braces to glue the boards together. The most difficult step was using a dado stack to create a tongue-and-groove so the backside could slide on and off.

Jocie stenciled that beautiful fleur de lis, and she applied a wax finish to seal the wood. I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and I know we'll be showing it off next chance we get.

#DIY #pallets #wine

Time: 6 Hours Cost: $5 Difficulty: Moderate
  • Jocie stained the pallet wood and added the beautiful fleur de lis on one side.
  • The backside slides on and off, and the small hole can be used for carrying the holder.
  • We enjoy Bota Box wines, and that's how I determined the measurements for this holder.
  • The most difficult step is cutting a tongue-and-groove so that the backside can slide on and off.

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-make-classy-boxed-wine-holder/

• Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Haha Storywood Designs! Glad you like it.
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. We've been putting ours to "good" use, and so far it's been a big hit.
  • Tammy Hoffman
    Tammy Hoffman Yellville, AR
    How do you clean the pallets. I know most all pallets are sprayed with many different chemicals depending what was stored or shipped. Also many pallets are in areas with bugs and critters that leave deposits.
  • Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD
    Tammy Hoffman First, we make sure to use heat-treated (HT) pallets rather than ones that have been treated with chemicals. Sanding removes anything on the surface, and waxing
  • Rhonda Kueck
    Rhonda Kueck Beaumont, TX
    I am a blogger and I am doing a Mardi Gras/Fluer de lis round up on my blog on Thursday. Let me know if you have a project you would like to be included. I will link all pics either to a blog or etsy shop. Rhonda
Ethan@OPC