Making a Fancy Boxed Wine Holder | Hometalk
13K Views

Making a Fancy Boxed Wine Holder

Home stuff on Jun 6, 2016
13K Views
The only problem with boxed wine is that it comes in an ugly cardboard box. The wine is great, but Jocie usually pours the wine into a carafe when we have guest over. Instead, I made her a snazzy boxed wine holder from pallet wood.
I used my table saw a lot for this project, ripping the pallet boards square and to length. I also created thin strips for braces to glue the boards together. The most difficult step was using a dado stack to create a tongue-and-groove so the backside could slide on and off.
Jocie stenciled that beautiful fleur de lis, and she applied a wax finish to seal the wood. I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and I know we'll be showing it off next chance we get.
Time: 6 Hours Cost: $5 Difficulty: Moderate
  • making a fancy boxed wine holder, diy, how to, pallet

To see more: http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-make-classy-boxed-wine-holder/

Have Questions About This Post?

• Tammy Hoffman
    Tammy Hoffman Yellville, AR

How do you clean the pallets. I know most all pallets are sprayed with many different chemicals depending what was stored or shipped. Also many pallets are in areas with bugs and critters that leave deposits.

• Ethan@OPC
    Ethan@OPC Catonsville, MD

@Tammy Hoffman First, we make sure to use heat-treated (HT) pallets rather than ones that have been treated with chemicals. Sanding removes anything on the surface, and waxing the holder afterward provides another layer of protection. Oh, and sorry

• Rhonda Kueck
    Rhonda Kueck Beaumont, TX

I am a blogger and I am doing a Mardi Gras/Fluer de lis round up on my blog on Thursday. Let me know if you have a project you would like to be included. I will link all pics either to a blog or etsy shop. Rhonda

• Winepine
    Winepine Port Chester, NY

Great idea! I agree that the cardboard box isn't the most attractive way to dispense wine. I am curious as to what finish you used, and how long it took to prepare the pallet wood for the lacquer or stain you used.

If your ever looking for original

• Yvonne
    Yvonne Boulder, CO

I like this idea very much but decided to simply cover each box with wood-looking contact paper since I am elderly and use few boxed wine products each year. Many thanks for getting my brain in gear!

­