I had been planning to do something cool with a deck of vintage playing cards when I found the right ones with really nice artwork. I got a hold of these French playing cards that were
perfect. After a lot of lining up and driving in small nail tacks, the cards were in place. I used some metal came from my stained glass supplies to frame things up. I used some vintage cloth ribbon measuring tape to continue the number theme. I used some metallic silver paint and some distressing to finalize things. The hinges on top are from an antique sewing machine. I finished everything in a few coats of polyurethane.
When we built a new side yard patio, the location of our air conditioner was less than ideal. So I smashed old plates, cut up old mirror and pieces of stained glass, to make a two sided mosaic screen that picks up the colors of the surrounding hostas.
The cream colored grout is sealed, old fence posts were used as the ends and the whole thing is movable in case we have to get at the air conditioner. It's much nicer to look at than the grey turbine.