Your kitchen is always entertainment central, but you don't always want it to be traffic central! This AK client wanted to ease the traffic flow through their kitchen and blend their
luxurious tastes into their modest space. Even though this kitchen is now 7 years old, it's still one of the most popular on Facebook! (@AKHomeRenovations)
Look at the Old Vs. New pictures and you can see how the designers & crew opened up a wall from the kitchen to the family room. The old sliding glass door in the kitchen was replaced with a beautiful window with a window seat, thus allowing all the beauty of nature with none of the foot traffic. And extra storage to boot!
Check out the glass-front cabinets. These are only lightly frosted, but still obscure the view of the contents and enhance the contemporary feel of the space! Maybe most memorable from this kitchen remodel is the granite on the island – it is ALL ONE PIECE! The crew that brought it in had to carry it up an entire staircase and down a hallway to get it safely into position atop the stunning island.
More On Kitchen Remodeling:
Commented on Feb 22, 2013
I can still dream about such a kitchen. It truly is beautiful and functional. My question is
since you made a window seat where the sliding doors were, is there another exit to outside? I really like the size of the window seat though. Very creative and eye appealing.
Found this online and thought it would be good timing for something to keep the kiddos busy while they're out of school for Christmas vacation (for those of you who have kiddos). Supposedly, they are super easy to make, and cost practically nothing to make. You probably already have all the ingredients on hand in your kitchen. I'm going to give them a try myself. If anyone makes these, let me know how they turn out!
container to keep your paints in –mini muffin tin, ice-cube tray, small plasticcups, plastic egg carton etc.
Mix your baking soda and vinegar together (hello science experiment) and waitfor the fizzing to stop. It's handy if you mix in a container that has a spout(I used a 2c measuring cup).
Add your corn syrup and corn starch, and mix well until the corn starch hasdissolved.
Pour into your containers. A double batch will make enough to halfway fill all12 compartments of a mini muffin tin.
Now, get out your colors and have some fun! Use toothpicks and popsicle sticks for adding your colors, and stir for about a minute to make sure the color is mixed in well.
If you're using liquid colors, you may have to add about 6 drops to get the intense color that you 're looking for. Add a pinch of extra corn starch to compensate for the extra liquid.
Now the hard part: you have to let your paints "set up" and dry which apparently could take 1-2 days. Once they're hard, simply grab a paint brush and some water and get painting!! The paints glide on smoothly, the colors look super, and they're nicer than any of the kiddy watercolor paints you can buy. They're a little chalky when they dry, but not nearly as chalky as the dollar store paints, and so much cheaper than the art store brands.
I have always wanted a coffee station with a commercial style coffee/cappuccino maker. The kind in a coffee shop that says "shhhwwwwwlllllllll." You know what I mean. But, hence - my
counterspace is limited. So I created a little area that holds everything nicely. I call it my "Morning Space." Sometimes, its our "after-dinner" and "on the way out to the hot tub" space. So versatile. :)
The owner wanted an inviting, more cottage-like look for the home. We added a new front porch, did a face-lift on the front facade and installed a new stone walkway and a picket fence. We
filled in the central lawn area with shade-tolerant, colorful plantings like Endless Summer Hydrangea, Autumn Ferns and Impatiens. The final touches included hanging baskets, new planters, window boxes filled with annual plants and a new mailbox with vines.
This kitchen island started out as an old hutch that had been scorched in a fire. We took a saw-all and cut the top part off that had burnt shelves. Then added legs, painted it, then my husband took some scrap mahogany left over from my bathroom sink project and made a top for it. Coated it with mineral oil and voila!