How to Make Homemade Lotion Bars

$20

The first time I used a lotion bar, I was puzzled. What was this solid lotion weirdness?? Truth: I haven’t bought body lotion in six years.

Once I learned what was in the lotion bars– and more importantly, what WASN’T in them– I made the switch for good. The recipe is four simple ingredients I buy in bulk, plus essential oils.

I make a batch about twice a year. I keep them in the fridge in a mason jar in my DIY beauty products section of the refrigerator. You don’t have one of those? Oh, we can totally fix that. Before you know it, you’ll be making lip balms, bath bombs, hand soap and who knows what else!

Over the years, I’ve tried many different variations and ingredients and have perfected my favorite recipe. The key ingredient is– wait for it– mango butter.

There are a number of natural butters, but this one has become my go-to. Mango butter is light enough for summer and nourishing enough for winter. It’s silky and has no odor, so the essential oils you choose will really shine through.

Cocoa butter is another favorite, but it has a distinct smell. I prefer using it in certain lip balm recipes and have a whipped body butter it works great in, but again, if you don’t want the chocolatey decadence, go with the mango butter. Shea butter is also a terrific, healing butter, and would work fine in this recipe.

First measure your ingredients– beeswax, jojoba oil, coconut oil and mango butter– and scoop into a glass, wide-mouth mason jar .

Make a double boiler using a small pot with a water in the bottom. Add just enough water to sit the jar into the pot without it leaking out over the top. Turn on medium heat, the water will begin to boil and you’ll see your ingredients begin to melt. Constantly stir using a silicone spoon.

This is what the beeswax looks like– it floats to the top and will be the last ingredient to melt.

When everything is melted, carefully remove the jar from the pot using an oven mitt, add in your essential oil(s) and mix well. Lavender is light, soothing and great for your skin– it’s a great choice for lotion bars. Be sure to find a reputable brand you trust and understand sourcing and standards.

Pour into silicone molds and cool.

Kids love to be in charge of this part– they pop out of the molds so easy.

Place in the jar, top with a lid and store in the fridge. I take out one at a time and leave it in a dish in the bathroom.

These also make a wonderful gift– alone with a cute tag in a mason jar, or with other goodies in a gift basket.

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Misty | Back Porch Bliss

• Wandamurline
    Wandamurline

Could you use some preservatives in this and not have to store it in the refrigerator?

• Lipstick mama
      Lipstick mama

It doesn’t need a preservative.,,no water, and bacteria don’t grow without it.

I add tapioca starch to mine, to cut down on the greasiness.

• Robyn Garner
    Robyn Garner

This sounds like a fabulous way to pamper myself! How do these stay solid at room temp in the bathroom? Or, do they partially melt and need to be kept in a container?

• Misty | Back Porch Bliss
      Misty | Back Porch Bliss

I keep a couple in a jar or dish in the bathroom, mine have never melted. Coconut oil will melt at about 76 degrees. If you leave them in a warm car, that's another story. :)

• Allison Miller
    Allison Miller

How do you use these? Like soap? Or just rub on body?

• Tish Ann
    Tish Ann

I can’t wait to try this 😊

• Lynn
    Lynn

My new neighborhood gift! Can't wait to try this!!! If keeping in a car...and we have very hot humid summers in CT, put it in a small metal tin!