Spring Is Just Around the Corner ~ Start Planning!

Outdoors 03.23.15
Spring is still a little over a month away but it is not too soon to start planning this year's garden. If you are like me, you head off to a nursery, fall in love with some wonderful plants, bring them home and then have to figure out where they should go in the garden. While being spontaneous is lots of fun, this year I am going to the nursery with some plant combinations already in mind, even though I know I will still be waylaid by an amazing plant or two not on my list!

Here are some combinations that I thought worked really well in our garden last year for you to consider. And while we are all still waiting to get back out into the garden, making some planting plans is a great way to occupy ourselves. Think of it as gardening in your mind : )

#itching4spring #ThinkSpring

• A sunny couple ~ Croscosmia "Lucifer" & Sedum "Vera Jameson"
  • Dry shade partners ~ Hosta "Sum & Substance, May Flower (groundcover) and Spurge
  • Sunshine friends ~ Echinacea "Burgundy Fireworks", Caryopteris "Little Miss Sunshine", and Ninebark "Coppertina"
  • Part Shade winners ~ oakleak hydrangea, hosta, feverfew, sundrops, iris, artemisia, astilbe, pansies and spiderwort
  • Everybody's favorite date ~ Plumbago goes with anything! Plus, it brings blue to your garden.
  • Wet soil combo ~ Iris ensata,, Ligularia, and Pickerel Rush
  • Show stoppers ~ Hot pink Lychnis, blue spruce and pink Fairy Roses
  • Tall & regal ~ Vitex and Bronze Fennel (a favorite of our finches!)

To see more: http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/spring-is-just-around-the-corner-start-planning/

• Debbie Machmer
    Debbie Machmer Canton, PA
    Diana, I have sweet pea, not what I'm looking for, tx
  • Tanya Peterson Felsheim
    Tanya Peterson Felsheim Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you so much! Our time off begins today and I have nothing I HAVE to do except help my mom pack up for a week long trip to watch her grandson go through his Honor Ceremony as he achieved the long difficult process of becoming an Eagle Scout. But it
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Tanya Peterson Felsheim , you are polishing your crown in heaven taking care of your mom. I have taken care of my husband's elderly parents and then my dad, as much as you love doing it, it is hard on you. Enjoy your time alone!
  • Tanya Peterson Felsheim
    Tanya Peterson Felsheim Grants Pass, OR
    Well alone with my husband! Actually I overstated how much i take care of my mom she is still ambulatory and her mind is good...she lives with my father and my brother but there are many things she only trusts me to do...and I go out and clean their
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Tanya Peterson Felsheim , my prayers and best wishes are with you and your family. Having taken care of our loved ones, I know how exhausting it can be. When you are with them
Barb Rosen