Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 03.13.14

My Vegetable Garden

Each year I enjoy working in my vegetable garden. It is just large enough to give me the variety that we like. I've tried to design it in a manner that enables me to not only rework it each year, but to maintain it throughout the growing season. The photos are from two different years. I prepare the ground by cultivating it with a tiller. I then add miracle grow dirt and mix it in, and I use Miracle Grow Liquid Fertilizer. I do this each year. The landscape logs are two high so I can keep adding dirt. I'm also working with Georgia clay. The mulch allows me easy access to the plants and helps keep the weeds under control. I have the water connected to my sprinkler system. I also use a portable sprinkler at times.
71 Comments Displaying 15 of 71 comments | See Previous
  • Linda B Oak Ridge, NC
    Pattie Patterson, what you're saying may well be true from a horse-owner's viewpoint, but we saw three community gardens last summer whose entire crops were wiped out by this contaminated manure. And the aminopyralid persists up to 5 years in the manure,
  • Sherry Fisher Grove City, OH
    beautiful...I want this lol....I compost and it is the only thing I use for my garden ;)
  • Jim McGovern Statham, GA
    I think after reading all the comments from experts (pros and cons) I'll be looking for a commercially made product that will be safe to use.
  • The aging wasn't in reference to the herbicide, it was a general reference as to what manure compose is best to use. As for horses not being effected by herbicides, I spoke with a vet friend of mine who said this is absolutely false. (Which was what I
  • Terri Mayfield Watertown, SD
    We have such a short growing season, but I do get in a small garden for our family.
  • Jesse Moore Salem, OR
    Thank you for the tip that tomatoes doing better when grown closer to the house. I've grown tomatoes in direct sunlight and they don't seem to do well.
  • Jim McGovern Statham, GA
    Jesse, so many people believe that direct sunlight from am to pm is the way to go, but in Georgia it gets so hot that they just burn up. My plants still get a lot of sunlight, but the roof overhang gives them some relief.
  • Espoma has wonderful fertilizers and amendments and are fully organic-they are also usually less expensive than Miracle Grow. Beer for slugs is a waste of good beer--try Bordeaux Mixture which is a copper product that usually only requires one
  • Trisha Saint John, KS
    Jim - great post, excellent photos - they're quite inspiring. Look forward to dimensions when you're able to provide them. Seems I ususally work an area too small for what I've planted or too big so I'm constantly redoing. Thanks for sharing!
  • Jim McGovern Statham, GA
    Trisha and Joyce, you might find this size just about right for you. The pathway takes up a good bit of space so it is very easy to plant, weed and fetilize. The size is 21 feet deep and 12 feet wide. I mentioned earlier that I place the logs before
    • Joyce Hall San Jose, CA
      Jim McGovern Thanks for the info, Jim. My husband built several nice raised beds this summer from lumber we had left over from a big project.
  • If you have a circus in town ask them for the elephant scat it makes for the best compost
  • Kate N La Porte City, IA
    Horse manure that is well rotted over winter is great fertilizer, and actually has little if any smell.
  • Trisha Saint John, KS
    Thank you, Jim - this is perfect and again - just really love what you did - and appreciate you sharing!
  • Love your garden, it's so neat & tidy. I garden a 50' x 50' garden with a mix of vegetables, berries and flowers. Being quite a bit north of your location, I find tomatoes love the sun and I plant them where they get sun & heat all day long and even go