Create Your Own Customized Room Scent

Kitchen 06.02.15
Tired of harsh, artificial room sprays and scents? Why not create your own from all-natural ingredients? I created these room scents from lemon, rosemary and vanilla.

To create my personalized scent, I started with two fresh lemons and then added 2 stalks of rosemary and a teaspoon of vanilla in 2 quarts of water in a pan on the stove. I brought the ingredients to a boil and then turned the heat down to let them simmer.

As the water evaporated, I added more water to keep the fruit and herbs covered at all time.

And as the mixture simmered, the house was full of the smell of spring.

And now...I'm growing my own herbs so I have a built-in supply for a fresh smelling house every day!

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $2.00 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.thistlewoodfarms.com/personalized-all-natural-room-scents

• Cheryl C
    Cheryl C Lawrence, MA
    after enjoying delicious herb tea, I dump the tea bag or tea ball into my potpourri burner, add a little water & light the tealight candle or plug it in whichever you have
  • Eleanor P
    Eleanor P Brooksville, FL
    Sounds wonderful. I love the clean, refreshing smell of lemon, mint, etc. My favorite Yankee Candle scent is the Citrus and Sage candle. The real things would be fabulous! I will definately try this. Thanks a bunch!
  • Estalina G
    Estalina G Tyner, KY
    where can i find rosemany, I live in a very small town
  • Sharon Bothwell
    Sharon Bothwell Ridgefield, CT
    Love this idea... thanks for sharing!
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    Should the lemons be sliced before or after they cook?
  • Tinkermullins1
    Tinkermullins1 Paynesville, WV
    im trying this we put out huge garden
  • Janette
    Janette North Webster, IN
    I grow rosemary in my garden window and use it almost every day for cooking. I will use this suggestion in my herb class!
  • Krista M
    Krista M Walla Walla, WA
    This is a great idea! My favorite sent is the warm spices, so I use whole cloves, cinnamon sticks and sometimes I will add some orange for that citrus twist. Thank you for sharing!
  • Ccanada
    Ccanada Pelzer, SC
    Can't wait to try this, Thanks!!!
  • Jeffrey Gegner
    Jeffrey Gegner Kokomo, IN
    Seems to me the concentrate after cooking it down would work in a scent warmer..maybe not..
  • Nomee McDermott
    Nomee McDermott Henrietta, NY
    Thanks Amanda
  • Nomee McDermott
    Nomee McDermott Henrietta, NY
    Love this i dea going to do today..please let us know more
  • Fanderice
    Fanderice Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Going to do this today
  • Crystal Yandell
    Crystal Yandell Fischer, TX
    I cannot wait to try this!!!!
  • Amanda
    Amanda Panama City, FL
    I go get cinnomon sticks and add to water in my aireator for same wonderful idea smells so delish all day ....If you dont have an aireator get you a coffee warmer. Get a mason jar put 3/4 full of water sit on warmer and add ingredients. I do this so I
Thistlewood