Hometalk.com

05.09.12

I have one part of my yard behind the fence and next to my carport, that is about 90% shade. Can anyone tell me of some

ype of ground covering or flowers that I basically have to do nothing to them so that they can grow & survive? The most work I basically want to have to do in that area is to keep them from spreading into my neighbors back yard?
25 Comments Displaying 15 of 25 comments | See Previous
  • Charlene S Lawton, PA
    If you go on a flower site you will find many varieties of shade loving flowers. If you want color added to your space, Astilbe is great.
  • Once the last frost date has passes, Impatiens. A great annual that reseeds great, but not invasive. Amend the soil well, put a bit of Osmocote or Dynamite slow release fertilizer in each planting hole, and you're off to a stunning floral display in
  • Terri J York, PA
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. I love color, and variety of plants. Please keep more answers coming. I appreciate all the ones I have gotten so far!
  • Charlene S Lawton, PA
    Terri...have you thought of planting Astilbe? They are primarily a flower, but branch out and grow to about two feet. They come in many colors and do exceptionaly well in shade. Again, check on some flower sites online and you will be able to see more
  • Terri J York, PA
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas, and no Charlene, I hadn't thought of Astilbe. I am starting to think along the lines of wild flowers that may do well in the shade too. I am just hoping for a couple more ideas and then it
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Another thought, Terri: You could make a colorful tapestry for shade using heucheras, whose foliage seems to come in every color in the rainbow these days.
  • Terri J York, PA
    Thank you to everyone who responded to this post. Ya'all have given me some great ideas and just in time for York's Flower Show. It should be a lot easier to shop their!
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Happy shopping, Terri!
  • Cheryl S Metamora, IL
    yesterday a gentleman suggested Thyme ground cover it is purple in winter and green in summer. Not the herb.
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Thyme does not do well in shade.
  • Terri J York, PA
    I forgot to mention that the land back there is very acidic because of the pine trees. I have started shopping for plants, but w/ the insane weather, nothing has been planted yet. I am trying to chose plants that will match the sunny side of the area too.
  • Terri J York, PA
    May 8th - we are getting April showers. The past two weekd are the only time we haven't been dropping to mid 30's at night. Now it's time to start planting here. Saw lots of beautiful flowere/plants but glad I held off b/c of above reasons. I am getting
  • Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Free plants are always great Terri. Enjoy your shade. I wanted to add that I have an area of dry shade and in addition to hellebores, Christmas fern is evergreen (Polystichum acrosticchoides), native and tough. Here is a photo of Christmas fern with
  • Terri J York, PA
    Erica, thank you for suggesting Christmas fern. I only have one spot of shade - by my carport. I love things that stay green year round, and have golden thread juniper bushes out front for that reason.
  • Erica Glasener Atlanta, GA
    Your welcome Terri. It is a tough and satisfying plant.
  • Like

Janice H