Installing a (Manufactured) Rain Harvesting Barrel

Rain Barrel 07.26.15
I installed half round gutters and corrugated downspouts on my house recently ... (I have an old house and I wanted to maintain this look). As I was doing this, and since I knew I had some nearby yard work planned, I incorporated a rain barrel.

After some research (through which I learned there is no shortage of techniques for making rain barrels nor in the shear number of rain barrels now on the market), I chose a 60 gallon rain barrel made by a company called EarthMinded. I picked it because 1) it looked good 2) it was comparatively large 3) it looked easy to install and 4) it could be bought through a local conservancy that subsidized the barrels bringing their cost down.

With rain barrels (like real estate) location location location is everything. Screened (at least partially) from the road, I set the barrel just downhill of last year's Vinca planting and just uphill from a bit of grass I intended to overseed (I completed this this past weekend and plan to post on it). I purchased 2 bags of pea gravel, used scrap (ground-contact-rated) 4x4s (further treated) and a spare piece of blue stone. Together, this/these provided a solid, level and elevated base (all very important).

Time: 2-3 Hours Cost: $130 Difficulty: Moderate
  • Rain Barrel.
  • selection of barrels at local conservancy Blue Water Baltimore.
  • prepping for overseeding, a slope downhill of the rain barrel.
  • Half round gutters corrugated downspout.
  • rain barrel screened from the road.
  • parts that came with EarthMinded's rain barrel kit.
  • pressure treated 4x4s treated further with copper-based wood preservative.
  • leveling and setting the base (outside edge 24" apart).
  • leveling and marking the downspout for the barrel's diverter cut in.
  • a look at the rain barrel's diverter.
  • hose cut brought tight and leveled.
  • A scrap piece of hose was fitted with hose repair menders ... perfect for watering nearby.

To see more: http://www.buildingmoxie.com/2013/05/watering-the-lawn/

• Virginia
    Virginia Gainesville, GA
    :-) yeah, I had the idea... but I was like... hum... wonder how to make that stupid drain thing turn the corner.. how to stabilize it.... how do you put what where (after 3 or 4 brain stops I got worn out!). Before I started. You made it look really simple.
  • Building Moxie
    Building Moxie Baltimore, MD
    the instructions with barrel were really good. Like Ikea instructions but with words. ha!
  • Sandy K
    Sandy K Oconto, WI
    I bought a real oak barrel just so I could set it up to catch water, but need to figure out how to do this. We just replaced all our eaves and down-spouts and I don't want to ruin anything. Should I set it up like "building Moxie?" comment's, please
  • S137
    S137 Clarksburg, MD
    I couldn't afford to buy one of the Earthminded rain barrels, so I searched around and found that Earthminded also makes kit (about $30) that let me transform a 55-gallon barrel into a rain barrel. It was this video that convinced me that I could do it
  • Julia Sipe Bentley
    Julia Sipe Bentley Colonial Beach, VA
    Great job! It looks professionally done!
Building Moxie

Search Feedback