Kitchen Cabinets

03.11.12
I am about to paint my cabinet doors and base in my kitchen and wanted to ask if it is ok to use a paint sprayer??

• Kim J
    Kim J Lake Saint Louis, MO
    I recently hired a company who did an excellent job. It was a very timely process. Mine were oak. All the doors and drawers from were removed and done on their work site. They washed with tsp, sanded, then applied a primer, then I believe 3-4 coats of
  • Liz R
    Liz R Lincolnshire, IL
    Try a product called Reclaim...it's a paint/primer/finish coat all in one and is great for cabinets. I've seen it on a few things now, and will do my own cabinets in April...you can spray or roll this product on, it self-levels!
  • Vicki S
    Vicki S Memphis, TN
    Water based poly OR oil based? What do you recommend?
  • Nancy C
    Nancy C Cordova, TN
    After painting my kitchen cabinets with a brush, I often wondered if I would have been as satisfied with spraying. I first cleaned them good, used primer and then 2 coats of oil based paint and sanded with very fine sanding paper in between the final 2
  • Pensacola Accents
    Pensacola Accents Crum Lynne, PA
    Remove the doors, take them outside (or into the garage), prep like crazy, and have at it. You MUST rough up the CLEAN surface with a sandpaper block. The cabinet surrounds that are left hanging on the wall must be prepared the same way. I roll the
  • Sandra S
    Sandra S West Palm Beach, FL
    Beware of the Fumes
  • Cher D
    Cher D Elyria, OH
    you did not say what surface they were....but make sure that you prep the surface well....And remember when you spray paint there is overspray... so where ever you do not want the paint to go.. tape it off. I have sprayed painted many things in my
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Diana...great idea "practicing" on a small set of bath cabinets...this is a great way to refine your skills before jumping in to a bigger kitchen project.
  • Reesa G
    Reesa G Albany, NY
    Ours doors were done by an auto body paint shop...highly recommend it. The type of paint that lasts the best and gives the best finish can be somewhat toxic and you want to make sure there is good ventilation
  • Diana S
    Diana S Fishers, IN
    I painted my bathroom cabinets white & they turned out great! (the cabinets are the same as the kitchen... Oak... Now to convince my hubby to let me paint the rest. I agree that sanding them is extremely important. Remove the hinges (very easy... if I
  • Jo
    Jo Toledo, OH
    Please do share the results!! Thanks Clemente V!
  • Clemente V
    Clemente V Pompano Beach, FL
    Did you say they are laminate doors? I heard that HD has a paint the is made for such a surface. One of my customers is trying it out this weekend, because her old doors look weathered .next to the ones i just installed. I'd be happy to share the results
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    The most common problem when paintng kitchen cabinets, is paint adhesion or quality issue due to soiling and contaminates on the cabinets prior to painting. Sanding will help with provideing a "mechanical" bite for the paint. But grease and oil resdues
  • Linda V
    Linda V Broomfield, CO
    We painted our dated light oak cabinets with white glossy paint after 2 coats of stain blocking primer. They came out very professional looking esp after we added new brushed nickel hardware. We just used brushes on the edges and small foam rollers on
  • Jo
    Jo Toledo, OH
    I'm scared to do this, but REALLY want to. Do you just do the doors? I have OLD white laminate cabinets and if I spray the doors one color, I'm thinking it might look really bad and sloppy if the cabinets edges peek out somewhat.
Vanessa L