Make a DIY Butterfly Feeder in 6 Easy Steps | Hometalk
108K views

Make a DIY Butterfly Feeder in 6 Easy Steps

6 minutes ago
108K views
Don't underestimate the butterfly - it's more than just a pretty garden addition! There are 561 known butterfly species in the United States and Canada, all of which pollinate your flowers. Encourage butterflies to visit your yard and pollinate your plants by making a butterfly feeder. It's easy!
Full tutorial: http://bit.ly/18hoQ6m
Note: Some evidence suggests dyes may have negative health effects on humming birds. If you have humming birds in your region, we suggest making this sugar solon without dyes and making your jar extra colorful, instead!
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, You ll need mason jar or baby food jar with sealable lid kitchen sponge hammer and nail heavy duty string sponge sugar scissors saucepan and flower stickers or decorative tape optional
You'll need: mason jar or baby food jar with sealable lid, kitchen sponge, hammer and nail, heavy-duty string, sponge, sugar, scissors, saucepan and flower stickers or decorative tape (optional).
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 1 Prepare butterfly food by mixing nine parts water with one part sugar If you are using a mason jar for your feeder use tablespoons and if you are using a baby food jar use teaspoons
1. Prepare "butterfly food" by mixing nine parts water with one part sugar. If you are using a mason jar for your feeder, use tablespoons, and if you are using a baby food jar, use teaspoons.
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 2 Using a nail and hammer punch a small hole in the center of the lid A piece of a sponge will need to fit snuggly in the hole so keep it small you can always make it bigger if necessary
2. Using a nail and hammer, punch a small hole in the center of the lid. A piece of a sponge will need to fit snuggly in the hole, so keep it small - you can always make it bigger if necessary.
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 3 Cut a 1 2 inch strip from your sponge then pull it through the hole in the lid so about half of the sponge is sticking out from the top you ll want the sponge to be a tight fit
3. Cut a 1/2 inch strip from your sponge, then pull it through the hole in the lid so about half of the sponge is sticking out from the top - you'll want the sponge to be a tight fit.
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 4 Before you tie any string around the jar decorate your jar with brightly colored stickers construction paper or washi tape Flower shapes and bright colors are great options because they ll imitate the real deal
4. Before you tie any string around the jar, decorate your jar with brightly colored stickers, construction paper or washi tape. Flower shapes and bright colors are great options, because they'll imitate the real deal.
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, 5 Use your string to make a hanger Flip your jar upside down Tie some string around the neck of the jar slightly below the lid Cut two more pieces of string that are about two feet long
5. Use your string to make a hanger. Flip your jar upside down. Tie some string around the neck of the jar (slightly below the lid). Cut two more pieces of string that are about two feet long.
  • make a diy butterfly feeder in 6 easy steps, crafts, mason jars, That s it Now you can hang your feeder outside It will work best if it s placed about six inches higher than your tallest flowers
That's it! Now you can hang your feeder outside. It will work best if it's placed about six inches higher than your tallest flowers.
77 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 8  of  77 | See Previous
  • Linda T
    Linda T Stewartstown, PA

I know this is about butterflies, since I always read the beginning of HT posts, however, just FYI, I heard on public radio last week that you should put bad fruit out, especially dark bananas, since Humming birds (they are noisier than a hum, so I

• Sue Kiene

I cut up my overripe fruit and put it out for the birds and butterflies etc. I have had quite a few different birds checking out the plates. Just keep them away from your seating areas etc.

• Jennie Lee
    Jennie Lee Parkersburg, WV

I should think you could easily put in a new piece of sponge every time you clean it, right?

• Sue Kiene

If it were me I would. Sponges are inexpensive and since they hold bacteria etc. in them, would not want the butterflies etc. to possibly get sick or die because of bacteria or molds

• Jody H
    Jody H Tucson, AZ

This may apply to all our beautiful winged garden friends. http://tinyurl.com/ofacgd7

• Willajc
    Willajc Bismarck, ND

I have purchased a feeder and the instructions are strict on making the sugar water and how to clean and keep clean the feeder.

• Sandy Hartnett
    Sandy Hartnett Philadelphia, PA

Love this! Hugs

­