Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Make a DIY Butterfly Feeder in 6 Easy Steps

Don't underestimate the butterfly – it's more than just a pretty garden addition! There are 561 known butterfly species in the United States and Canada, all of which pollinate your flowers. Encourage butterflies to visit your yard and pollinate your plants by making a butterfly feeder. It's easy! #FavoriteProject #JuneMaintenance

Full tutorial: https://brightnest.com/posts/attract-butterf...

Note: Some evidence suggests dyes may have negative health effects on humming birds. If you have humming birds in your region, we suggest making this sugar solon without dyes and making your jar extra colorful, instead!

36 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 36 comments | See Previous
  • Tracy Gilmore
    going to try this, have lots of butterflies in my garden, glad i decided to keep at least 1 butterfly bush. having a lovely summer in uk for a change
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • D P
    D P Grand Rapids, MI
    This is a wonderful recycle for some hanging glass jar lanterns I made a few years ago and didn't use much. i will just have to turn them up side down and poke the hole! Thanks!
  • Sonja Ecton
    Sonja Ecton Barnhart, MO
    Cute idea, except for the food coloring. Not needed and bad for butterflies, birds etc.
  • Debra Peters
    Debra Peters Mesa, AZ
    Maury McCoy I've never had a problem with any unwanted visitors. My humming birds even feed from it. :-)
  • Rebecca Duff
    Rebecca Duff Powell, TN
    This is neat...might just put one together soon as I can get a few rolls of the decorative duct tape to decorate it with....no dyes here!
  • Marjorie Wolfe
    Marjorie Wolfe Knoxville, TN
    I haven't seen many butterflies here; but may be they will come. Looking forward to seeing the results!
  • Carolyn Vermillion
    Carolyn Vermillion Elizabethton, TN
    would put Vaseline down the string so far to keep ants out. I do this on my hummingbird feeders also
  • Susan S
    Susan S Columbus, TX
    The idea is good but unless you have created a perch for the hummingbird to sit on the hummingbird is using the same energy to use their wings to be able to drink the sugar water. The ratio I use is 1 part water to 3 parts sugar. Red dye is not
  • Comet
    Comet Oradell, NJ
    @SUSAN S---Do you have any actual factual citation for this? Our hummingbirds seem to like to perch on the nearby large bushes or the nearby trees rather than on any perch that might be ON the feeder--they ignore those and always have no matter what kind
  • Barbara
    Barbara Roseburg, OR
    I have serious doubts that hummers use as much energy to hover to drink as they consume. How would they ever survive where there are no feeders? They certainly do hover when working flowers. I believe the standard recommendation for food is a 1:4 sugar
  • Susan S
    Susan S Columbus, TX
    Yes, our wildlife management. You can google this suggestion by other hummingbird sites. Our visiting humming birds perch to drink and then go to various limbs to perch. But, aside than this...do you lose more weight by sitting or being active?
  • Susan S
    Susan S Columbus, TX
    We planted a passionflower vine. It seemed we would have to find another home as the vine took over! Now, we have bunches of butterflies, and caterpillars are enjoying the nutritious vine. Each day brings newly emerged butterflies! They like the same
  • Le'
    Le' Woodville, TX
    Wow, BrightNest, I'll bet you're sorry you posted this. This is one person trying to give others a tip by spending time to write/photograph this pin. Do you get a lot of butterflies with this feeder? Thanks for posting.
  • Le'
    Le' Woodville, TX
    I use a little bit of red jello (dry) to make my water red.
    • Irene
      Irene Montclair, CA
      Le' ,You might check the ingredient list to see what kind of dye is used in the jello. There are a few co. using beet juice for color in different foods.
BrightNest