Make a DIY Butterfly Feeder in 6 Easy Steps

Don't underestimate the butterfly – it's more than just a pretty garden addition! There are 561 known butterfly species in the United States and Canada, all of which pollinate your flowers. Encourage butterflies to visit your yard and pollinate your plants by making a butterfly feeder. It's easy! #FavoriteProject #JuneMaintenance
Full tutorial:
Note: Some evidence suggests dyes may have negative health effects on humming birds. If you have humming birds in your region, we suggest making this sugar solon without dyes and making your jar extra colorful, instead!
  • You'll need: mason jar or baby food jar with sealable lid, kitchen sponge, hammer and nail, heavy-duty string, sponge, sugar, scissors, saucepan and flower stickers or decorative tape (optional).
  • 1. Prepare "butterfly food" by mixing nine parts water with one part sugar. If you are using a mason jar for your feeder, use tablespoons, and if you are using a baby food jar, use teaspoons.
  • 2. Using a nail and hammer, punch a small hole in the center of the lid. A piece of a sponge will need to fit snuggly in the hole, so keep it small – you can always make it bigger if necessary.
  • 3. Cut a 1/2 inch strip from your sponge, then pull it through the hole in the lid so about half of the sponge is sticking out from the top – you'll want the sponge to be a tight fit.
  • 4. Before you tie any string around the jar, decorate your jar with brightly colored stickers, construction paper or washi tape. Flower shapes and bright colors are great options, because they'll imitate the real deal.
  • 5. Use your string to make a hanger. Flip your jar upside down. Tie some string around the neck of the jar (slightly below the lid). Cut two more pieces of string that are about two feet long.
  • That's it! Now you can hang your feeder outside. It will work best if it's placed about six inches higher than your tallest flowers.
  • Le'
    Le' Woodville, TX
    I use a little bit of red jello (dry) to make my water red.
    • Irene
      Irene Montclair, CA
      Le' ,You might check the ingredient list to see what kind of dye is used in the jello. There are a few co. using beet juice for color in different foods.
  • Farhan Sheikh
    Farhan Sheikh Glen Burnie, MD
    Wow this is super cool!
  • Karen Stephen Pollard
    Karen Stephen Pollard Manchester, NH
    When you turn the jar upside down, the nectar won't drip out via the sponge????
  • Theresa
    Theresa Canada
    I read that you should never use dyes or Jell-O in the Hummingbird food, as it is no good for their tummy. I know, I did purchase the prepared Hummingbird food, which has the colored crap in it, and I for one, know that my Hummingbirds DO NOT like it.
  • Anne fenske
    Anne fenske Canada
    Paint the jar red and use a yellow or white sponge. Real nectar is clear. The idea is to attract them with red around the nectar sponge. Or just paint the lid red.

Search Feedback