Refinished Counter Tops With Paper

Kitchen ideas 4 days ago
Remove edging of Formica counters...it they are preformed androunded you will have to paper over the edge and smooth it to the bottom edge. Cleancounter tops thoroughly and fill any divots or holes. Take craft paper(scrunched and torn or cut into pieces depending on your style) soaked it in 2parts water 1 part while glue...smoothed onto counters and over the edge. (Don'tsmooth so much you lose the scrunched look unless you want a more or a smoothlook). Cut paper along the wall if it needs it and along the bottom edge. Layeruntil you get the look you want. Once it is dried stain to your color choosing.Put a couple of layers of poly and then sand lightly to smooth and place a1" stained edge piece and add a couple more layer of poly. Be careful notto place hot pot on counter...I put a large decorative trivet where I usuallyput hop pots. You can try this on a piece of wood first until you get the hangof it and the color of stain you want...the paper takes stain differently thanwood... you could also color wash it with paint. It does take about a week, just because of the drying time between coats of poly.
Time: 5 Days
  • Cherie
    Cherie Buckley, WA
    This is the paper treatment done on walls before painting. If you leave it "natural" be sure to mix enough glue mixture to complete the project in one mixture or measure it very carefully or it may dry differently.
    • Tina Meckley
      Tina Meckley Mentor, OH
      Cherie I've thought about doing this on my floors, I figured it's a cheap fix until I can gut the whole bathroom. Thanks for the pics!
  • Cherie
    Cherie Buckley, WA
    and this is the floor...stained and then 4 coats of Poly
  • Jan
    Jan United Kingdom
    Sorry anybody know what craft paper is called in the UK?
    • Tina Meckley
      Tina Meckley Mentor, OH
      Jan I've used paper bags on my boys walls yearssss ago, I would think it would work here also.
  • Tina Meckley
    Tina Meckley Mentor, OH
    My mom's friend did this but I had not seen it, but thanks to you I think I'm going to do it on my mis-matched countertops. Kudos to you. Thanks for sharing! :)
  • Becky Williams Holm
    Becky Williams Holm Sutherlin, OR
    for flooring, I recommend this tutorial: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/lee92...
Organize By Design ~ Mary