Refinished Counter Tops With Paper

Remove edging of Formica counters...it they are preformed androunded you will have to paper over the edge and smooth it to the bottom edge. Cleancounter tops thoroughly and fill any divots or holes. Take craft paper(scrunched and torn or cut into pieces depending on your style) soaked it in 2parts water 1 part while glue...smoothed onto counters and over the edge. (Don'tsmooth so much you lose the scrunched look unless you want a more or a smoothlook). Cut paper along the wall if it needs it and along the bottom edge. Layeruntil you get the look you want. Once it is dried stain to your color choosing.Put a couple of layers of poly and then sand lightly to smooth and place a1" stained edge piece and add a couple more layer of poly. Be careful notto place hot pot on counter...I put a large decorative trivet where I usuallyput hop pots. You can try this on a piece of wood first until you get the hangof it and the color of stain you want...the paper takes stain differently thanwood... you could also color wash it with paint. It does take about a week, just because of the drying time between coats of poly.
Time: 5 Days
  • Mitziblueyes
    Mitziblueyes Sedley, VA
    I did this same technique on my living room walls and loved it!! Never thought about the bathroom!! I've gotta do this!! Awesome!
  • Vickie Treece
    Vickie Treece Texarkana, TX
    I just used the same technique on a toy room floor using colored construction paper!
  • Ayimartz
    Ayimartz Chula Vista, CA
    What 's poly? I'm not a native speaker so can you explain me?
    • T Vaughn
      T Vaughn Ada, OK
      Ayimartz Poly is short for Polyurethane, it's essentially a plastic in liquid form until it dries, it's available in water or oil based and comes in satin to glossy varieties.
  • Vicky Pelegrin
    Vicky Pelegrin Appleton, WI
    Perfect for my hideous bathroom counter.
  • Rachel
    rachel Springdale, PA
    has anyone done this using different colors of paint dabbed on to look like granite?
  • Rachel
    rachel Springdale, PA
    i have a question.is the counter top kind of lumpy from the paper or does the poly make it smooth?
  • Cherie
    Cherie Buckley, WA
    You barely overlap the paper so it's not lumpy at all, plus the poly makes it really smooth. I've done my blue countertop in my laundry room and it looks awesome. The blue showed through in spots and it looks like marble!
  • Rachel
    rachel Springdale, PA
    is there any stain that looks like black paint
  • Nancy J
    Nancy J Freedom, PA
    Do you think this can be done to a kitchen table top? My set is oak, but the table top is formic
    • Wanda sinnema
      Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
      Nancy J I don't see why you could not do it.. formica is formica ,, regardless if its on a counter or tabletop..I'd make sure to prep it good..
  • Wanda sinnema
    Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    I may try this on a dresser top.
  • Lorry V
    Lorry V Denver, CO
    hi there and thanks for the inspiration! Do you think this would work over tile?
  • Cherie
    Cherie Buckley, WA
    This can be done over any type of surface really...just sand it a bit if you think the glue wont stick well. Lorry, I am in the process of papering over tile. I actually covered the tile with Dry Wall joint Compound, bit only because I wanted a flat
  • Cherie
    Cherie Buckley, WA
    This is the paper treatment done on walls before painting. If you leave it "natural" be sure to mix enough glue mixture to complete the project in one mixture or measure it very carefully or it may dry differently.
  • Cherie
    Cherie Buckley, WA
    and this is the floor...stained and then 4 coats of Poly
  • Jan
    Jan United Kingdom
    Sorry anybody know what craft paper is called in the UK?
    • Roseannp
      roseannp Mililani, HI
      Brown paper bags? It's just a thick sort of paper, sometimes it's white.
    • Roseannp
      roseannp Mililani, HI
      Like the kind of paper you would wrap parcels in.
Organize By Design ~ Mary