Refinished Counter Tops With Paper

redo counter top 7 days ago
Remove edging of Formica counters...it they are preformed androunded you will have to paper over the edge and smooth it to the bottom edge. Cleancounter tops thoroughly and fill any divots or holes. Take craft paper(scrunched and torn or cut into pieces depending on your style) soaked it in 2parts water 1 part while glue...smoothed onto counters and over the edge. (Don'tsmooth so much you lose the scrunched look unless you want a more or a smoothlook). Cut paper along the wall if it needs it and along the bottom edge. Layeruntil you get the look you want. Once it is dried stain to your color choosing.Put a couple of layers of poly and then sand lightly to smooth and place a1" stained edge piece and add a couple more layer of poly. Be careful notto place hot pot on counter...I put a large decorative trivet where I usuallyput hop pots. You can try this on a piece of wood first until you get the hangof it and the color of stain you want...the paper takes stain differently thanwood... you could also color wash it with paint. It does take about a week, just because of the drying time between coats of poly.
Time: 5 Days

on This Post

• Bev
    Bev Leavenworth, KS
    Are the counter tops heat resistant?
  • Carmen Smith
    Carmen Smith The Dalles, OR
    tissue paper on walls works really well. I did that a few years ago and loved the textured look. Looks like wall paper.
  • Ann
    Ann Medford, OR
    I've done this on two small tables and I love how easy, cheap they were. The tables have a whole new life with their new look. Your kitchen counters look great!
  • Rocki
    Rocki Chino Hills, CA
    This is an awesome project! I did this in my first house!First, I soaked the paper in rust colored dye and added copper-colored pixiedust (exxxtra fine glitter) to the glue. When I placed the pieces up on the wall, and it finally dried, I glazed it with
  • Rachel
    rachel Springdale, PA
    can you paint the paper instead of staining?
Organize By Design ~ Mary