Refinished Counter Tops With Paper

kitchen 2 days ago
Remove edging of Formica counters...it they are preformed androunded you will have to paper over the edge and smooth it to the bottom edge. Cleancounter tops thoroughly and fill any divots or holes. Take craft paper(scrunched and torn or cut into pieces depending on your style) soaked it in 2parts water 1 part while glue...smoothed onto counters and over the edge. (Don'tsmooth so much you lose the scrunched look unless you want a more or a smoothlook). Cut paper along the wall if it needs it and along the bottom edge. Layeruntil you get the look you want. Once it is dried stain to your color choosing.Put a couple of layers of poly and then sand lightly to smooth and place a1" stained edge piece and add a couple more layer of poly. Be careful notto place hot pot on counter...I put a large decorative trivet where I usuallyput hop pots. You can try this on a piece of wood first until you get the hangof it and the color of stain you want...the paper takes stain differently thanwood... you could also color wash it with paint. It does take about a week, just because of the drying time between coats of poly.
Time: 5 Days
  • Debbie Boltz
    Debbie Boltz Waterloo, IA
    hmmm interesting. I have never tried this but was thinking about using it on some old, worn out and cheap end tables. Now I am sure I will. Thanks
  • Patty S
    Patty S Sturgeon Bay, WI
    Just awesome, great job
  • Karyn Lisk
    Karyn Lisk Gainesville, GA
    I did this years ago with some really cool tissue paper from Starbucks. I bought a little train as a gift and loved the paper so much I went to 5 different Starbucks and asked for some. It was my back splash in my kitchen and a focal wall. It was a plus
  • Celinda M
    Celinda M Brandenburg, KY
    Add to this post...I need to do my counters bad but scared.is this really as easy as it seems
    • Vickie Treece
      Vickie Treece Texarkana, TX
      Yes it is. I have done several floors and doing my counters today
  • Lee Olivo
    Lee Olivo Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Whoa! outstanding out come......u rock
  • Kathy E
    Kathy E Murray, KY
    A
  • Sharon E
    Sharon E Gilbertown, AL
    I'm starting this today!!!
  • T Vaughn
    T Vaughn Ada, OK
    How does it hold up to getting wet, particularly around the sink?
  • Leslie Lewis
    Leslie Lewis Snohomish, WA
    I saw this done on HGTV Trading Spaces years ago and have done several walls. I used old paper grocery bags or masking paper in rolls.... ripped it in odd shapes...scrunched it up.. got it wet w/ water and then used wallpaper glue. Overlapped it and it
  • Teresa F
    I work in an antique store and I did this to a huge table. Also did it on some waist high metal shelving and then we added tall shelves to create a library wall floor to ceiling. It looked amazing and has held up well.
  • Mitziblueyes
    Mitziblueyes Sedley, VA
    I did this same technique on my living room walls and loved it!! Never thought about the bathroom!! I've gotta do this!! Awesome!
  • Vickie Treece
    Vickie Treece Texarkana, TX
    I just used the same technique on a toy room floor using colored construction paper!
  • Ayimartz
    Ayimartz Chula Vista, CA
    What 's poly? I'm not a native speaker so can you explain me?
    • T Vaughn
      T Vaughn Ada, OK
      Ayimartz Poly is short for Polyurethane, it's essentially a plastic in liquid form until it dries, it's available in water or oil based and comes in satin to glossy varieties.
  • Vicky Pelegrin
    Vicky Pelegrin Appleton, WI
    Perfect for my hideous bathroom counter.
  • Rachel
    rachel Springdale, PA
    has anyone done this using different colors of paint dabbed on to look like granite?
Organize By Design ~ Mary