We upcycled three doors into a wedding backdrop for our grand daughter. THEN we used the doors to make this little garden shed.
Today I finally got the roof I wanted on my shed-a green roof of living plants!
We used cedar fence boards for the eaves then lined the roof planting area with waterproof pond liner stapled up and over the edges of the boards. We added two layers of dormant grass sod (free from our neighbor) plus potting soil in the planting wells.
I grew shallow rooted plants that are not too thirsty...like creeping jenny, assorted sedums, miniature vinca and some decorative grasses.
Now we'll finish all the trim work and paint the shed a soft white. I'm adding handfuls of wildflower seed to the top and also some pretty summer annuals like blue lobelia and white and purple alyssum.
I like it alot! It's looking almost exactly like I imagined it would! And here it is with a fresh coat of white primer. I have some rusty vintage wrought iron and other fun trim to dress it up....next.
Click over to my blog for more info on this project.
Materials I used for this project:
- 4 recycled doors (Restore)
- Framing lumber,cedar fence boards, paint (on hand from other projects)
- Waterproof pond liner (local nursery)