Hometalk.com

Decor Ideas 11.29.13

Rental Friendly Kitchen Makeover: Wallpaper Your Cabinets!

We live in a rental with a really dark kitchen, and we're a bit limited about what we can do to brighten up the space since we aren't allowed to paint anything. But I was able to give the kitchen a total makeover and brighten it up with some removable wallpaper!

I took the doors off of one upper cabinet so that we can always see the wallpaper peeking through from the back of the cabinets, and it has really helped make the space more open and bright! And when you're tired of the wallpaper, or when you move out of your rental you can just peel it off and wipe up the stray glue with a damp sponge, and there’s no hint the wallpaper was ever even there!

Time: 1 Day Cost: $60 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/07/kitchen-update-wallpaper-cabinets/

50 Comments Displaying 15 of 50 comments | See Previous
  • Karen powell Dearborn, MI
    many people do not know the difference between a removable paper and a contact paper ! This is where the problem comes in. But I do think covering poster board and tacking it in place is a buyable idea . Even cutting some bead board paneling and painting
  • You're so right Karen powell, a lot of people don't know the difference! And I've come across a fair number of people who think wallpaper is peel and stick, not something you actually have to
  • Marcia Maddie Lincoln Park, MI
    I painted the in side a baby blue the walls in a cream and I had blues purples and greens as my colors.Everything matched to a T.
  • Marlene Olson Hayward, WI
    I would suggest trimming the wallpaper immediately instead of waiting and wipe up the glue residue while it is still wet. I think it looks great and it would not be noticeable to any future renters once the doors are reinstalled. How about adding some
  • That sounds so pretty Marcia Maddie!
  • Ooh, very smart idea about the battery operated lighting Marlene Olson!!! I love it! And I did try trimming one piece of wallpaper right away, but it was too wet for the knife to make a
  • Belle Garland, TX
    I love the idea...and having owned a rental home myself, I can say I wish some of my renters had been as clever...and thoughtful as this woman.
  • did the wallpaper on back wall of cupboards on a 4 shelf bookcase but did it with contact paper with tiny pink roses turned out so great so pretty
  • Karyn Lisk Gainesville, GA
    It's a great forum here to get ideas for renters, but most importantly it's great that if they do get the idea here (Karen Powell) they will have the information about the right kind of contact paper to use and there will be no mistakes to harm cabinets!
  • Susan Fisher Springfield, MO
    What a great idea. I too also live in a rental. That would be great for my kitchen. I don't know if you have more idea's for a rental but I would love to see what you have. My problem is my patio. We are not allowed to put up any thing that attaches to
  • Thanks Belle!
  • That sounds so pretty Diana Addison Szurek! Contact paper works great for this too, but I had to make sure it was removable, so I chose that wallpaper instead. :-)
  • Yep, absolutely Karyn Lisk! It's a great way to add some color to your cabinets, but if you are renting you definitely need to be careful to make sure that it's removable and won't leave any
  • Thanks Susan Fisher! I have tons of apartment/rental living ideas on my blog (http://practicallyfunctional.com), but we live on the second floor of our building and don't have a deck or
  • Susan Fisher Springfield, MO
    Thank you Jessi. I was also thinking about 4 buckets with cement and a 4x4x8 post. Then lay post across the top and 2x2 across the top. The only bad thing is I have to take down and remove every thing I do to the house. Nothing can be attached to the