Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

URBAN HEDGES PART THREE-A: KIWI ViNES

Welcome to part three-A of my series on urban hedges, which is a term I coined when I was devising ways to attain privacy in my NYC garden; a garden that is in close proximity to neighbors to the east and west of me, as well as directly north.

In part one of this series I discussed a few types of shelving as an urban hedge option; while in part two I discussed the use of objects (as planters filled with lush flora), passion vine and building a bamboo trellis, as options for creating an urban hedge.

All of the aforementioned urban hedges were (or still are) on the western side of my garden. There is no need for an urban hedge on the south side of my garden, as that as the side where the door leading to and from my garden into my apartment is located, as well as a plant stand that supports a concrete container, which has been filled with array of flowers, herbs, and plants over the years. But in the recent years, the container has been filled with nasturtium or tulips, depending on the season, as seen in photos one and two.

The nasturtiums seen in image one were just planted on July 10th 2013, and they are one of my favorites, giving my garden a Giverny feel! In bygone years I have featured nasturtiums in posts on Blogger and tumblr, which you can refer to via the links below respectively.

2 Comments Displaying 2 of 2 comments
  • Alexandra Arena
    Alexandra Arena Forest Hills, NY
    Love the Nasturtiums, Patricia!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Thelastleafgardener
    Thelastleafgardener New York, NY
    Me too Alexandra Arena (love nasturtiums) AND I can see why Henri Matisse "used" them in his painting, "Dance," @http://www.thelastleafgardener.com/2011/12/blog-post_31.html I HOPE THEY SURVIVE THIS HEAT WAVE! How are you doing with all the heat, Alexandra?
Thelastleafgardener
  • Likes

Barb Rosen Peggy Marcos Albuquerque Cynthia Castro Ivylore Kathy Debra Prater Linda Neff Empress of Dirt - Melissa Lynne