Hideaway Cat Litter Box

Cat litter box 5 days ago
I'd finally had enough of the "sweep/vacuum/repeat" cycle with my two cats and their litter box in the bathroom. With a piece I scooped up from a thrift store, I created a hideaway litter box. It's not perfect, and took quite some time to plan out but my cats are using it and I'm no longer cleaning up the floor after them each day!

Update December 24:

Hello everyone! Thank you for all of the kind comments, and suggestions! I've updated with another picture to clarify: there is still a litter pan inside the chest which I clean every other day. There is no odor so long as the girls cover their business, and I change the litter completely once a month. They still kick litter around the opening, but I put a rug outside the box and can easily sweep it up. Compared to the previous routine of mess in the bathroom and litter in the tub, I highly recommend it as an alternative!

We're going on several months here, and no spraying or accidents outside the litter pan. Anyone who comes to visit has no idea what is inside, which was the main goal! Good luck with your own projects!

Time: 6 Hours Cost: $40 Difficulty: Easy

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Laura S
    Laura S Chicago, IL
    What a great idea! Thanks
  • Elaine
    Elaine Essex Junction, VT
    Thanks for your inspiration and great photos... I knew exactly what I needed to make one for my 4 cats. I was lucky enough to find a closet at my local Goodwill for $20! What did you use to prep your wood so the tiles you used would stick to the sides?
    • Brooke Nichole
      Brooke Nichole Waynesboro, VA
      Elaine Hi Elaine, it didn't occur to me to prep the wood. I'm trying to remember, and I think I used the grout on the back of the tile as extra glue. I'm not sure if that will work on all types of wood or not. Good luck!
  • Mary
    Mary Ashburn, VA
    where did you find the "big" box to put it all in? is that an old toy box you had? of did you find that at the thrift store? Thanks! Looks great!
    • Brooke Nichole
      Brooke Nichole Waynesboro, VA
      Actually, my mom found it under a pile at a local thrift store! We got a great deal.
  • Elaine
    Elaine Essex Junction, VT
    Hi Brook, I just painted the whole inside to match the outside and love how it came out. I had to rearrange the room to fit my "kitty hide a box" but it was worth it. This will replace the open tote/bin I was using for a litter box .... 4 cats.... I
  • Debi E
    Debi E Fort Lauderdale, FL
    great idea
  • Valerie Brunner
    Valerie Brunner Pittsburgh, PA
    I also have two kitty's and they make a huge mess daily with the box & litter . I am wanting to find a fix like u did that will work 4 them and my small home space ...
  • Wendy M
    Wendy M Milton, VT
    We did something similar for our dog and cat food using an old stero cabinet
  • Teresa Turner
    Teresa Turner Mount Juliet, TN
    Hi there!!! A tip on Chalk paint...you can make your own!! ("they don't want you to know about it though..) You can use either Plaster of Paris or Calcium Carbonate (Amazon) and stir in 1 part to 3 parts paint. I have used it and LOVE the results..Make
  • Catherine S
    Catherine S New Braunfels, TX
    It's a great idea, but do you really only change your cat litter once a month? I need YOUR cats!
    • Jan 3 Boll
      Jan 3 Boll Muskegon, MI
      Catherine S Depends on the type of litter you use. I use scoopable and just add a few cups once or twice a week. In the two or so years I've lived in my apartment I haven't changed it once - still doesn't smell.
  • Teri
    Teri Chowchilla, CA
    I used an old turntable cabinet for mine. Love them. Craigslist $10
    • Carol
      Carol Lincoln, NE
      Teri Great idea! I'm looking for a second piece of furniture to work with as we get ready to stage and sell the house. The old end table I used for the second pan just takes up too much space. This looks about right!
  • Dana Corby
    Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    Darn clever!
  • Gerri Smith Veatch
    Gerri Smith Veatch Lockport, IL
    I am definitely making one of these. I already have a perfect bench for it. Thanks so much for the great idea!
  • Shirley P
    Shirley P Boyd, TX
    very creative, great job
  • Laura-Lee Ladouceur
    you can make your own chalk paint 3 parts paint 1 part plaster of paris works great way cheaper
  • Shari
    Shari Lubbock, TX
    In my utility room, I have a pet door installed which leads out to the litter box inside one of those large metal dog kennels in my garage.
  • Luann Maxey
    Luann Maxey Felton, DE
    This is great! Awesome job!
  • Val
    Val Canada
    Fantastic fix! I'll be scavenging the thrift stores now! Val
    • B Juliana Leo
      B Juliana Leo Woodbine, NJ
      Val You know what most folks don't consider...is finding a place that holds Auctions. I got a deal with an old blanket chest...ready for this? $8 A chest like this goes for almost $80
  • Donna Sykes
    Donna Sykes Richmond, IN
    I'll be looking for a chest at garage sales or the thrift store.
  • Debby
    Debby Bonita Springs, FL
    Thanks for the update. My cats are old and have trouble getting through the cat door to go to the litter boxes on the back porch. I now have 1 inside and litter is all over the place. I like this idea
  • Barbara Lowell
    Barbara Lowell Island Grove, FL
    with a small confined area like that, vinyl tiles offgass toxicity, as well as caulking ... i would keep in mind that these babies are tiny and they are getting ill from toxicity same as us ... when I put vinyl tile in my small bath I noticed the fumes
Brooke Nichole