Hideaway Cat Litter Box

Before & After 04.22.15
I'd finally had enough of the "sweep/vacuum/repeat" cycle with my two cats and their litter box in the bathroom. With a piece I scooped up from a thrift store, I created a hideaway litter box. It's not perfect, and took quite some time to plan out but my cats are using it and I'm no longer cleaning up the floor after them each day!

Update December 24:

Hello everyone! Thank you for all of the kind comments, and suggestions! I've updated with another picture to clarify: there is still a litter pan inside the chest which I clean every other day. There is no odor so long as the girls cover their business, and I change the litter completely once a month. They still kick litter around the opening, but I put a rug outside the box and can easily sweep it up. Compared to the previous routine of mess in the bathroom and litter in the tub, I highly recommend it as an alternative!

We're going on several months here, and no spraying or accidents outside the litter pan. Anyone who comes to visit has no idea what is inside, which was the main goal! Good luck with your own projects!

Time: 6 Hours Cost: $40 Difficulty: Easy
  • Elaine
    Elaine Essex Junction, VT
    Hi Brook, I just painted the whole inside to match the outside and love how it came out. I had to rearrange the room to fit my "kitty hide a box" but it was worth it. This will replace the open tote/bin I was using for a litter box .... 4 cats.... I
  • Debi E
    Debi E Fort Lauderdale, FL
    great idea
  • Valerie Brunner
    Valerie Brunner Pittsburgh, PA
    I also have two kitty's and they make a huge mess daily with the box & litter . I am wanting to find a fix like u did that will work 4 them and my small home space ...
  • Wendy M
    Wendy M Milton, VT
    We did something similar for our dog and cat food using an old stero cabinet
  • Teresa Turner
    Teresa Turner Mount Juliet, TN
    Hi there!!! A tip on Chalk paint...you can make your own!! ("they don't want you to know about it though..) You can use either Plaster of Paris or Calcium Carbonate (Amazon) and stir in 1 part to 3 parts paint. I have used it and LOVE the results..Make
  • Catherine S
    Catherine S New Braunfels, TX
    It's a great idea, but do you really only change your cat litter once a month? I need YOUR cats!
    • Jan 3 Boll
      Jan 3 Boll Muskegon, MI
      Catherine S Depends on the type of litter you use. I use scoopable and just add a few cups once or twice a week. In the two or so years I've lived in my apartment I haven't changed it once - still doesn't smell.
  • Teri
    Teri Chowchilla, CA
    I used an old turntable cabinet for mine. Love them. Craigslist $10
    • Carol
      Carol Lincoln, NE
      Teri Great idea! I'm looking for a second piece of furniture to work with as we get ready to stage and sell the house. The old end table I used for the second pan just takes up too much space. This looks about right!
  • Dana Corby
    Dana Corby Anderson Island, WA
    Darn clever!
  • Gerri Smith Veatch
    Gerri Smith Veatch Lockport, IL
    I am definitely making one of these. I already have a perfect bench for it. Thanks so much for the great idea!
  • Shirley P
    Shirley P Boyd, TX
    very creative, great job
  • Laura-Lee Ladouceur
    you can make your own chalk paint 3 parts paint 1 part plaster of paris works great way cheaper
  • Shari
    Shari Lubbock, TX
    In my utility room, I have a pet door installed which leads out to the litter box inside one of those large metal dog kennels in my garage.
  • Luann Maxey
    Luann Maxey Felton, DE
    This is great! Awesome job!
  • Val
    Val Canada
    Fantastic fix! I'll be scavenging the thrift stores now! Val
  • Donna Sykes
    Donna Sykes Richmond, IN
    I'll be looking for a chest at garage sales or the thrift store.
Brooke Nichole