Vintage Oil Can Candles

Candle DIYs 06.15.15
Thought it would be a cool idea to "UP-cycle" some chick pea cans into candles, but the added vintage oil can labels are the finishing touch. Never made a candle before? Follow me.
Time: 30 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy
  • Vintage inspired labels charm cream wax candles made in upcycled veggie cans
  • Chop cream wax into fine shavings like grated coconut, the finer it is the faster it will melt
  • Fill a coffee can with the cream wax shavings, and place in a stock pot with about 3 inches of water.
  • Turn to high heat and stir the wax shavings with a chop stick to melt completely
  • After the wax has completely melted, remove from heat and add a few drops of scented oil for candles. I used Leather and Cedar.
  • Pour the melted wax carefully into the washed/cleaned veggie can holding the wick in place
  • I use a chopstick and clothes pin to hold the wick in place while the wax cools and hardens
  • Be sure to snip the wick to about 1/4 inch before lighting
  • I downloaded these graphics form a model building site, and simply cut them out, and glued them on the cans.
  • It's that simple, good thing they smell like Leather and Cedar....and not Motor oil.

To see more:

• Mssmatch
    Mssmatch Florence, KY
    how were u able to pour hot wax without using a pot holder? The tin can is hot even when the wax is warm
  • James@TheCavenderDiary
    LOL, The wax had cooled a few minutes, and I have very thick skin on my hands .......
  • Bobbie B
    Bobbie B Fairfield, OH
    I will never forget when I was 13 I received a candle making kit for Christmas. My mom had just bought her new appliances when we moved and I was so excited to try out my new gift! YUP, I sure did! I spilled the candle wax down the side of the stove
  • James@TheCavenderDiary
    I had an experience like that once too, Bobbie, I'm much better with age now,
  • Debbie
    Debbie Sykesville, MD
    Hi James, love this idea...great way to make a candle more masculine too!

Search Feedback