Vintage Oil Can Candles

Decorating 11.14.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Thought it would be a cool idea to "UP-cycle" some chick pea cans into candles, but the added vintage oil can labels are the finishing touch. Never made a candle before? Follow me.
Time: 30 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy
  • Vintage inspired labels charm cream wax candles made in upcycled veggie cans
  • Chop cream wax into fine shavings like grated coconut, the finer it is the faster it will melt
  • Fill a coffee can with the cream wax shavings, and place in a stock pot with about 3 inches of water.
  • Turn to high heat and stir the wax shavings with a chop stick to melt completely
  • After the wax has completely melted, remove from heat and add a few drops of scented oil for candles. I used Leather and Cedar.
  • Pour the melted wax carefully into the washed/cleaned veggie can holding the wick in place
  • I use a chopstick and clothes pin to hold the wick in place while the wax cools and hardens
  • Be sure to snip the wick to about 1/4 inch before lighting
  • I downloaded these graphics form a model building site, and simply cut them out, and glued them on the cans.
  • It's that simple, good thing they smell like Leather and Cedar....and not Motor oil.

To see more:

• Bobbie B
    Bobbie B Fairfield, OH
    I will never forget when I was 13 I received a candle making kit for Christmas. My mom had just bought her new appliances when we moved and I was so excited to try out my new gift! YUP, I sure did! I spilled the candle wax down the side of the stove
  • James@TheCavenderDiary
    I had an experience like that once too, Bobbie, I'm much better with age now,
  • Debbie
    Debbie Sykesville, MD
    Hi James, love this idea...great way to make a candle more masculine too!
  • Mandy Brown
    Mandy Brown Staunton, VA
    I love the oil can idea. We are remodeling our 1/2 bath in a vintage car/gas station motif since my boyfriend and his dad collect and restore antique cars. One thing about making homemade candles; I used to make them all the time about 20 years ago and
  • James@TheCavenderDiary
    Glad that you like them...and thank you for the advice. I'm looking up vybar right now.

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post