Cleaning Vintage Linens

An Antique Linen Dealer shared her secret with me, over 25 years ago, for cleaning vintage linens. This was before Oxygen cleaners and many spot treatments were readily available. I would try the newer ones first. If they do not work, this has worked for me. Please note, always test a small area first. If you are happy with the results, proceed with caution, at your own risk.
An antique linen dealer shared her secret with me, over 25 years ago, for cleaning vintage linens.The first step was soaking in Biz, a powdered detergent. I soaked this crocheted tablecloth overnight in Biz. Directions are on the box.
Since stubborn stains remained, I moved onto the next step. I brought water to a gentle boil, not rolling and added powdered Cascade. Depending on the size of your item and pot will determine the amount of product you need to add.
I used a lobster pot, so I added 1/2 cup of Cascade. I turned the eye off before I tested a tiny area to decide if I should proceed. Next, I added the entire tablecloth and stirred constantly. I used tongs to help check the stains.
If you determine that this method may work for you. Always test a tiny area first.Then, proceed with caution, at your own risk. Only you know the age, type of fabric, size and condition of your piece. Note, rinse by hand and line dry.
This worked beautifully on my tablecloth. The stains are gone. For me, this was unusable before cleaning it. It didn't respond to Oxygen cleaners or pre-treatment cleaners. I have successfully used this method for 25+years.

To see more: http://coastal-colors.blogspot.com/2013/11/cleaning-vintage-and-antique-linens-tip.html

• Terry Caryer
    Terry Caryer Cleveland, OH
    Great idea I have lots of those type of linens that could use this treatment.
  • Julie Fullarton
    Julie Fullarton Australia
    lemon juice get rust out linen
  • Crystal
    Crystal Canada
    I have sprayed wine stains on a white top with peroxide and the stains came right out
  • Diana R
    Diana R Westfield, WI
    I bought a tablecloth at resale store. It was stained cotton material and embroidered. I laid it on my lawn in summer. Sprayed a oxyclean solution on it. Checking it though out the day and respraying area's til the stain disappeared. I kept the spray
    Betsy Atlanta, GA
    Thanks, sounds great!
Betsy