We have a strange gurgling noise in the kitchen sink that happens when washing clothes followed by a strange smell.

08.02.11
Is this a sign of septic needing pumped or something else wrong???
  • Imagery
    Imagery Littleton, CO
    Brenda, Hard to say. I have a few questions that might help diagnose this for you...Where is the laundry room in relation to the kitchen sink? Is this a recent occurrence? Where is the smell, the laundry or the kitchen, or neither. How old is your
  • Brenda F
    Brenda F Winder, GA
    Thanks for your help! The laundry room is about 20 feet away from the sink, down about 5 feet (bottom part of a split-level). The smell came in from the sink, not sewagy too bad, but not pleasant. The home was built in 04. We bought it last may. I do not
  • Imagery
    Imagery Littleton, CO
    Brenda, might be a good idea to have the tank looked at. When I buy homes that have a septic, I have it serviced, emptied, and "start fresh" for my family. It may not be necessary, but it makes all of us a little less creeped out by the thought of
  • Atlanta Plumbing Plus
    The answers so far are very good. Another thing to consider is a clogged drain line or vent problem. It might only show up when the washing machine is running because a washing machine pushes a much higher volume of water under pressure in to the drain
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.
    That aroma is called swamp gas.
  • Brenda F
    Brenda F Winder, GA
    Thanks everybody!!!
  • Imagery
    Imagery Littleton, CO
    No problem, hope one of these answers gives you a good solution! Keep in touch!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I'm more in the drain clog...poor venting camp. Snaking drains AND vents. A few years back I had a client who had a dead squirrel in his vent line...this caused a number of problems.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Depending on how the laundry is connected to the waste system, there could be a sluggish drain line down stream from the laundry. I have the same issue on my older cape cod home once a year or so. My kitchen sink is upstream of our laundry which of
Brenda F