Hometalk.com

Child's pallet and recycled cedar fencing picnic table

I made this pallet child's picnic table from 2 pallets and recycled old cedar fencing. My daughter has 5 girls ranging from 4 to 10. With them in mind I designed them a table that would fit all the girls needs. Plus add an extra table for adults when the girls are not here. My daughter tore down her old fencing, I asked for her to bring it to me to recycle. So far I have been able to recycle a lot of it. I stained the pallet 2x4" with some deck stain that was in our garage we acquired for free. I sealed the cedar with 4 coats of clear deck sealer which was also free. The only expense was the deck screws to assemble. I made this in one afternoon, and finished the sealant in 2 days.
10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • CeCe D Gilbert, AZ
    Your pallet table looks fabulous. I am so enjoying seeing all the different things people do with recycled pallet wood! Thanks for commenting on my mailbox. I think we both enjoy home projects and repurposing!
  • Ohhh this is so cool! This pattern is exceptional! Love how you can scoot the benches underneath. I've never loved having to lift my legs over picnic table seats and this is perfect!
  • Deborah C Norton, KS
    Thank you. I agree on the up and over technique. I wanted it to be functional even when the girls aren't here.
  • Donna Dixson Buford, GA
    Did you wash it with anything. Just as a precaution I would recommend doing so. I caution folks when using them for compost bins and gardening that often times the pallets are carrying toxic chemicals that can seep into the wood and you won't even know
  • Teresa Mahieu Junction City, KS
    i love your design here. It is so awesome that you were able to make something so functional for practically free and save some wood from the dump or fire.
  • SandyG Cape Coral, FL
    Love it, just make sure you know what was stored on pallets. Like stated; can be toxic to skin contact.
  • Carolyn_conway Independence, MO
    Very neat!
  • Deborah C Norton, KS
    Shingles were stored on the pallets. But the wood on the top of the seats and table are an old cedar fence my daughter donated to me. They are sealed with several coats of outdoor poly. No worries of anything toxic. I have worked in rehab of old houses,
  • I like the fact it looks substantial and the benches won't flip over. Good job.
  • I love this! I get pallets for free at work all of the time. The only thing I've done so far is this shelf ( http://blissfullychicdiy.blogspot.com/2014/0... ). I've been wanting to try to do a Picnic table, I may give it a go. Great job!