When should I stop feeding the hummingbirds?

We have several feeders in our yard and enjoy seeing the hummingbirds fight and fuss over them. I do not want to cause a delay in their winter migration. They are very familiar with our yard and use the feeders all day long. When should I stop feeding them?

• Patricia R
    Patricia R Old Lyme, CT
    I have heard that even feeding them boiled sugar and water(4c.to 1c.sugar) isn't even good for them,so I just plant lots of annuals and other plants they love.(lobila,beebaum,honeysuckle and others.Stayed away from trumpet vine as it tends to get away. Pat R
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    I've been using 1part sugar to 4 parts water for years....I never have put the red food coloring in because I heard it was harmful to the little guys. Can't remember why but I heard it a very long time ago. happy birding!
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Hey at Angela and Susan, just put the Vicks on the hanging string or the hook you hang the string from, not on the flowers they drink from.....The ants and bees and wasps don't like it and it keeps them away, the hummers don't care for it but it only
  • Neva F
    Neva F Montross, VA
    In the past I've used prepackaged hummingbird food, but this year I've given them the four parts water, one sugar. I bring the water to a boil, add the sugar making sure it is completely dissolved. The hummers seem very happy.
  • Susan Turpin
    Susan Turpin Norco, CA
    The drought has so impacted the humming birds , your feeders may be vital for their successful migration and survival, now more than ever....do not stop filling your feeders.
  • Donna J
    Donna J Conyers, GA
    Susan, thanks for reminding us of the hot and dry summer we are coming out from. Even my garden has much less flowers this time of year because of the drought. I'll definitely keep that in mind and keep my feeders up. Thanks again!!
  • Ann R
    Ann R Old Hickory, TN
    I use honey and water...I hope that's ok they seem to like it
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Um Ann R. - not to be a fly in your - nectar, BUT, everything I've read said to ABSOLUTELY NOT put honey into their nectar. I'm sure they do like it cause it's sweet but there's something about honey that isn't supposed to be healthy for them. Guess I
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Ok, rather lengthy but here's the scoop on using honey, molasses etc.

1.Combine one part white sugar and four parts water.

• Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    thank you Susan. great info!
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    You're welcome Marg! Gotta admit, I've learned quite a bit myself about how our tiny little chirpers manage - sometimes despite our best intentions!!
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Well I didn't know multiple birds meant clean more often....Darn just when the kid moved to college someone else to clean up after...LOL
  • Joanne williamson
    Joanne williamson Magnolia, TX
    we have banded many hummers and you should always leave up a couple of feeders.if there is a bird that is not strong enough to make the trip it will need those feeders,especially when the flowers are gone.i keep some up year around.hope this helps.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    oh Joanne, you are so lucky! I wish I could hold one.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    @Joanne - I've seen programs where people have banded hummers. That enables them to track, keep tabs on which ones return and also report on other banded hummers that show up as well. But, how does one become an official bander and how in the world do
  • SANDRA BRYANT
    SANDRA BRYANT Whitesburg, GA
    There's no need to put away feeders, it is recommended to keep a feeder out all year. Mother nature has handled the migration, no need to worry. I use 1 part sugar and 4 parts water, no color.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    at some point I have to put them away or they will freeze lol.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Yeah - same here!! Although parts of Ga. can get some pretty cold weather occasionally too! Maybe those in more temperate zones can leave theirs out but after September they're pretty well gone.
  • Sonja Davis
    Sonja Davis Lees Summit, MO
    I live in the Kansas City area and I always stop in Oct.. I have read Nov but it just seems too cold then
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    I'd be the first one to tell you to always keep the feeders out - but if the sugar water is frozen what good will that do?
Donna J