When should I stop feeding the hummingbirds?

We have several feeders in our yard and enjoy seeing the hummingbirds fight and fuss over them. I do not want to cause a delay in their winter migration. They are very familiar with our yard and use the feeders all day long. When should I stop feeding them?
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    it's a very sad day for me when I take my feeders down for the winter because I adore my hummingbirds. I just put out my other feeders for all of my other birds that like to stay in the winter. I don't leave them up all summer because there is plenty
  • Sue brigle
    Sue brigle Montgomery, MI
    living in Michigan, I put the hummer feeders up May 1, and put them away Oct. 1. I wouldn't be able to leave them out all winter, they would be frozen solid almost instantly on some days.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Cinnamon - gosh you'd think that would attract ants instead of repelling them. All I know is come tomorrow morning I'm slathering something all over the areas the ants use as highway!! This year we've had these absolutely enormous redish brown ants.
  • Donna J
    Donna J Conyers, GA
    I forgot to share this one. I use a paste made with shortening (or vaseline ) and cinnamon to keep the ants away. Ants do not like cinnamon and we know what the grease does to them. And yes, HOMETALK ROCKS!!!!
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    @Angela L - we're talking Vick's salve here? The smelly kind you rub on your chest when getting a cold??? The smell isn't a deterrent to the hummers? Now that is amazing because truthfully, plain ole vaseline doesn't do squat and neither does
  • Donna J
    Donna J Conyers, GA
    Teresa, I too agree with Susan. It is important to boil the water before making the mixture. Once your feeder is attractive in color you do not need to get the colored food. You can paint the outside of the clear feeder in red. That would attract them.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    thanks for the googling :)
  • Angela A
    Angela A Lula, GA
    To keep your ants away Teresa....put Vicks on the flowers and string you hang it by....i was using vaseline for years which works great for the ants as well, but the vicks also keeps the bees away...(someone on here - cant remember who - told me about
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Thanks Sherrie - I'm certainly no expert but I do have a real "thing" for my hummers and wildlife in general!!
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Susan S, I'm proud of you for your scoop and glad you shared it. The hummers thank you, too.
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    Teresa, are you buying your nectar - then mixing w/water? If so, make your own. NOW, it's up for debate but you can use either 1 part regular white sugar added to 3 or 4 equal parts water. THE IMPORTANT PART is you should boil your water - it removes
  • Teresa D
    Teresa D Snellville, GA
    Thanks for that, Susan and thanks for asking the question Donna J. I had been meaning to ask that very question but for a different reason. I haven't seen any more hummers around since I refilled my feeder. I changed the food from a just pour in the
  • Vicki
    Vicki Smyrna, GA
    Every year I keep one all year round in a case, some hummingbird do migrate thru here late to find the feeder for it's energy to migrate. they usually leave early October here to go to south till next year. Good to see my 4 same hummer birds here very
  • Susan S
    Susan S Fredericksburg, VA
    OK people - you can just google when to take feeders down so here's the scoop!!

I copied & pasted this so just sharing the information!!!

• Donna J
    Donna J Conyers, GA
    I heard that once there is food they will stay until the cold comes. By that time it is too late for them to migrate. I am with you Marg... I definitely don't want to be the reason for these little guys demise. It would break my heart. They can't take
Donna J