Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
02.01.12

Need help w/blank wall over sofa.

We are almost finished putting the house back together after our renovation. Awaiting chairs and refinished tables for our den. I have a blank wall over the sofa that I usually hang a tapestry over. I am thinking of doing a wall of family pics but am not sure how this will work with the "traditional" decor and shelving directly across. Should I just stick w/tapestry, try the pics or any other suggestions for this large wall? If I use the pics, should I do white frames or oil rubbed bronze to match fan & hardware? Any helpful ideas on an easy way to configure?
26 Comments Displaying 15 of 26 comments | See Previous
  • JL Spring & Associates
    Man! What a crib Kev! Life is good in them thar hills!
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Haddy T
    Haddy T San Jose, CA
    I would suggest a series of different size and shape mirrors or Photo Frames spray in an oil bronze or warm gold (not shiny). If you do the photo frames make sure you matte the pictures and have them all printed in black and white or sepia. Also remember
  • Spiffed-up Spaces
    Spiffed-up Spaces Fuquay Varina, NC
    Donna,

I agree with the comment about the window curtain in here. It's a bit dark and makes the window feel quite short.

• Rebecca C
    Rebecca C Saint Joseph, MI
    You could take a long rectangular painting or framed print that is only about 12-14 inches wide above your couch. and center it above your couch. But like what is said above if it is family photo's it would make it awkward for people to look at them
  • Garden Rebel / Sims Landscaping, Co.
    Yes a fancy mirror and dont let anyone talk you into a moose head! Lol
  • Donna
    Donna Raleigh, NC
    @Garden Rebel, Thanks, I'm thinking of doing a small grouping of mirrors now..see photo. @Rebecca, thanks for the input...you have some great ideas. My main concern is the wall...the other photos are so that everyone can see my general decor. The room
  • Garden Rebel / Sims Landscaping, Co.
    im really into the larger mirror, it seems totally unique and has the wow factor ,I think with the big mirror it will be a forever piece and family heirloom. we have large ornate mirrors and with their beautiful frames i think of them more as art pieces.
  • Culpepper Carpets and Interiors, Inc.
    Donna , the room has a lot of shelves & accessories. Too much causes tension, I suggest a large oil painting or 2 companion pictures that are vertical or even the tapestry. You need it simple & the right size over the couch.
  • Preeti M
    Preeti M Santa Clara, CA
    I agree with Lee Ann. There is already lot of action going on in the room. This room has to match with the rest of your creative work you have done in the past upgrading your kitchen, dinning and back yard. I am really looking forward to the final
  • Diana H
    Diana H Wake Forest, NC
    A beautiful round entwined mirror over the sofa....or a scroll work in wrought Iron perhaps? I love the sofa...where did you find in Raleigh??
  • Donna
    Donna Raleigh, NC
    OK....here is what I ended up with....the photos do not actually do it justice. I painted each frame dark brown and highlighted w/bronze patina and it looks great. Would have loved to add the wall words and eliminate the drapes but hubby nixed that and
  • Donna
    Donna Raleigh, NC
    Note my 2 yr old grandaughter's artwork in front of the window...my Christma gift.
  • Diana H
    Diana H Wake Forest, NC
    Beautifully balanced now where did you purchase the sofa? I love the pattern and fabric!
  • Donna
    Donna Raleigh, NC
    @Diana, the sofa is about 6 yrs old and is Thomasville's Dolce Vita.. I really wanted to cover my old chairs and get a smaller sofa but hubby selected the larger chairs (which I think are too big for the room) to go w/sofa. Thanks for the
  • Diana H
    Diana H Wake Forest, NC
    Thank you so much,,,the sofa has held up well..I'm in the market for one and yours looked new! Your home is gorgeous! Now you need to have a small dinner party to show it all off !... Enjoy !
Donna
  • Like

Leah