Rats keep climbing up my drain pipes and evidently eat their way through the drywall to get in to the attic and/or

01.29.13
basement. I live in a woodsy area, but keep the landscape clean and sparse around the house, to no avail. Any suggestions?
  • Dan's of Central Florida, Inc.
    Hi Jan,

What sort of drain pipes do you have? Apparently they are not smooth enough that the rats are able to grab on and climb up?

• Jan
    Jan Marietta, GA
    Thanks, Dan. They are just standard gutters (I should not have called them drain pipes.)
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    I have two cats that keep things cleared out around here. If you have space and patience for a new family member maybe you could get one from the local shelter. Other than that you'll be trapping them until you get them all and that may take some time
  • Harold M
    Harold M Franklin, NC
    Rats or squirrels? Either are rodents. Might talk to an exterminator. If you put out Dcon they will probably die in your walls or attic, then you have to smell them for a month. I set traps and wire them to a floor joist or they will get caught and
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    In my experience, rat problems are usually related to bird feeders close to the house. If you have feeders, put the at least 20 feet from the house....then hire an exterminator.
  • Jan
    Jan Marietta, GA
    Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. I do have several bird feeders, but it's nearly impossible to move them further, and I don't want to abandon my birds!
  • Paul M
    Paul M Fairburn, GA
    Then you need to get a trap. There is a trap available these days that uses batteries to electrocute the mice/rats when the get to the bait in the trap. We are currently using them where I work and they have done a stellar job so far.
  • Cliff D
    Cliff D Daytona Beach, FL
    Build an Owl-house, get a cat or two, put out traps, clear any debris or bird feeders from around the areas they have been seen, and put out D-con bait stations, etc. If all else fails get a pellet gun, a lawn chair and a night vision scope!
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Rats can be a real problem to remove, because of the different species of them they all have different habits which sometimes makes them difficult to remove.
  • Jan
    Jan Marietta, GA
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice. I've learned quite a bit from all the replies, especially from Woodbridge Environmental. And Walter Reeves, I appreciate your time; always try to listen to you or read your articles.
  • M. Cary And Daughters Plumbing Contractors Inc
    if you stuff steel wool into the openings they are getting in thru and put tin or some other sheet type metal on the inside of where they are getting in in should stop them, as they do not like steel wool in their teeth.
  • Tom
    tom Harrisonville, MO
    Place exterior rodent stations around the home then keep them baited year round it will dramatically reduce yuor problem. rats will travel as much as 100 feet. Inspect the property to determine nest sites,food and water sources and correct what you can.
  • Leitha Mangum
    Leitha Mangum South Plainfield, NJ
    Ihave had my home sealed by a professional pest remover and is still having a problem. I have used three exterminators and they made the problem worst. No one can determine the entrance point for what ever is getting into the walls of my home. I would
  • Tom
    tom Harrisonville, MO
    I cant answer that unfortunately without inspecting your house. I do have some questions about the house. Is it loud scratching or squeeking noise/ Where exactly do you hear the noises and what time of day. .IE (first floor second floor Kitchen Bath
    Leitha, contact me. I can come by and do a look see for you. Phone number is on profile or send me an email.

Bob

Jan